Silly Blank Selection Question

I’ve shaped a little over a dozen boards now (some poly and some EPS).  I’m looking to shape myself a 6’3-6’4 squash tail with the center point back allowing me to progess my surfing (more top to bottom surfing).  US Blanks are available to me locally so I was considering the 64EA as well as the 64MB.  When reading the 64 EA description, it states “designed be a versatile blank for boards 6’2” and under".  I’m just curious if anyone can explain why it’s not advised to use the entire blank?  I’m familiar with play in blanks allowing the templates to be moved forward/backward to achieve desired rockers, but I’m not sure why that would preclude anyone form carving a 6’4" out of a 64 blank.  Would this yield a board with too agressive of a rocker?  I recently made myself a 6’0" tube shooter out of a 60R blank and it’s been my favorite board to date.  I know it can be done, but I’m curious if there’s a reason US Blanks is recommending against it.

Thanks all!

You’re right.  That is a silly question.   Give it some thought.

My only thought is that they mean 6’2" straight line length while 6’4" is the length over the curve of the rocker. I’ve always assumed a final board’s dimensions is measured over the curve so I’m not sure why that would be the case. 

They are just stating an “Industry Norm”.  Which is that most 6’2" are shaped from 6’4’s.   It’s a recommendation, not a law like wearing a mask.   I shape a 10’ from a 10’3.  A 6’6" from a 6’8 or a 7’0.   You’re missing the point.  Like I said "“a silly question”.

With tail block and nose block options the board could be bigger than the blank

Yep, I’ve done that on a few occasions.     It’s a very useful technique.

Those are usually recommendations from the shaper who designed the blank. 

If you look at the catalog or particular blank schematic, sometimes you find a blank will be called a certain length and the bottom lenght (which due to the bottom curve is longer than the deck curve) is longer than 6’4" or 6’10", 7’6" etc. .  So are shorter.  A 6’4" actual bottom length might be 6-3-5/8", so in that case you’re not going to net a 6’4".

Historically I’ve frequently netted a longer shape than the recommended length in the catalog. Many of us have.

Today’s close tolerance blanks are much easier to just follow the blank and created a very decent riding surfboard.  Years ago we needed to have the ability to “READ FOAM” meaning we needed to envision what we could get from an existing blank. The Custom Rockering Programs didn’t exist.

Count yourself lucky for being born in the “modern era”… I’ll take what I learned and my memories any old time.

There it is and well said.  I think I have mentioned it before,  but I recently netted a 10’2 out of a Clark 10’1Y before the tailblock was added.  I found over the years the extra inch to be something that could usually be done with a Clark blank.  For one thing Clarkshad more rocker that today’s average blank. Not possible with any of the Poly or Epoxy manufacturers these days.  I only use the “length of the bottom” method.