epoxy surfboards vs fiberglass surfboards

[Quote]Epoxy Surfboards: Pros vs. Cons - Degree 33 Surfboards

DEGREE 33 SURF BLOG

EPOXY SURFBOARDS: PROS VS. CONS

February 24, 2020 8 Comments

Epoxy surfboards started to become popular in the 1990’s. Prior to that for the last 40 or so years, traditional fiberglass surfboards were what the masses surfed with.
[/quote]

Click the link & see for yourself. It’s a short but painful read.

Mark it up to me being a crotchety old codger, but it really bugs me that some in the industry continue to promote this ignorance.  

There is no such thing as an “epoxy surfboard”, and to contrast it with a “fiberglass surfboard” (which also really doesn’t exist) is just stupid.  As if a surfboard with epoxy resin doesn’t have fiberglass in the lam, or composite skin, really?

I guess the blog entry does contain a few valid points, but mixing it in with false and misleading statements is just plain irritating to me.

Maybe I’m just being picky.  This sure does seem to be the way the corporate surf industry is heading: keep 'em ignorant, and spoonfeed 'em with half truths and false ideas, like this…

Or this

[Quote] (epoxy surfboards) Weigh less. A traditional fiberglass surfboard may well weigh 30 pounds. Epoxy surfboards come in a lot lighter than that. This can make for an enormous difference when lugging your surfboard down the beach or over the rocks to get in the water.
[/quote]

With all the horror in the world today, does it really even matter anymore?

Anti-science and anti-fact sentiment have become prevalent, here and in the world, over the last 15-20 years.  Credible substantiation is to be disowned…

Which is heavier?  A pound of feathers or a pound of lead?

Weight vs. density is a simple concept.

Closed cell foam vs. non-closed cell foam.  Water permeable (liquid absorption)?

Resins: polyester vs. epoxy.  Woven glass strands = ?

None of this is too complex…

Epoxy Surfboard.(ie EPS foam, Epoxy Resinand Fiberglass Cloth construction.  About a pint of water drained out.  Even after it drained, I thought it was pretty heavy for Epoxy/EPS.  Local shaper up here that is somewhat of a Demi-god in our small pond. 

no, yea, yea no.

Speak clearly in a complete sentence, and confuse all modern listeners.

Must talk emojispeak, OMG!

Look at meeeeeeeee!  I got  Epoxeeeee!

Contempt of humanity…rising.

Récent survey: in France, 9% people think earth is flat. So…

That’s right.  And here in the U S we are living on the edge.

What’s amazing to me is how a surfboard retailer that’s been in business for 14 years can be so poorly informed about what they sell.   

Guessing that if I replied to their website in the comments it would just get deleted.  

I dont think i can bring myself to read the article in full, but there are so many things incorrect about the bits you quoted i now have a head ache.

I left a comment. Slim chance it will get approved.

This is the bad side of the internet being accessible to anyone. A person who has a lot of bad ideas makes a blog and those who are even less informed believe the garbage they write.

The “epoxy vs fiberglass” thing has been a pet peeve ever since epoxy glassing became more common. I have seen and heard surf shop employees say the same thing. The blind leading the blind. The other glaring piece of idiocy is his claim about PU/PE boards getting waterlogged. The complete opposite is more accurate. PU foam does not get waterlogged. It is a bullshit myth. It’s a major reason why PU replaced balsa.

Ever watch some of the board building videos on YouTube?  The one guy has quite a following and is completely clueless.

Yes some of those videos and their instructors are pretty comical.

guess the blog entry does contain a few valid points, but mixing it in with false and misleading statements is just plain irritating to me.

Maybe I’m just being picky.  This sure does seem to be the way the corporate surf industry is heading: keep 'em ignorant, and spoonfeed 'em with half truths and false ideas, like this…

This is also how our news services operate which is dangerous and is killing people. Just saying and apologies for getting off topic. Mike

Mako224

You mean that Surfer Steve clown? His design ideas are almost as comical as Roy’s.

Some of the threads from back a few years arguing Epoxy/EPS vs. Poly sure were fun.  Amazing how upset people would get.  

Meanwhile, I don’t build SUPs so I basically have no use for EPS any more.   

If you really want controversy, use XPS foam.

Gotta love the status quo…

On the contrary, I think you’re bang-on!

Just sold an 8’7 SUP last night.  It shaped itself.