Body Foil Board

Looking for the surf craft that I can do with my bad knees so I decided to build a body foil board.  The guys on the west side of Oahu started retro fitting boards to foil surf on their bellies.  I followed Sam Pa’e and his experimentation with the concept, took his direction and built my first one.  This one is now ready for water testing.  I photo documented the process for future use and for anyone who wants to try it on their own.  The tricky is creating the high density I Beam to support the fin boxes for the foil mast.  The board is glassed heavy with three layers 6 oz. over the foil area, one full layer 6 and 4 oz. both top and bottom.  Managed to get a little shine on the epoxy finish.

I hand shaped two prototypes for other body boards and my friend Rex Kashinoki created the CNC files. 2# EPS foam with high density foam inserts.  46” x 28.5” x 3 5/8”. Three handles, middle handle used for perching when up on foil. Anyway, I’ll let the phots do the talking.

That is some good work as usual.  I am always amazed at the stuff you come up with.  Lowel

Very interesting , what foils did you use and where did you get them , Thanks . T

Great question!  We are still working out which foil.  This part is beyond my expertise. Sam is experimenting on using bigger foils with longer fuselage.  We want it to slowly raise up and not pop out too fast.  Sam is an excellent SUP foil rider but he too injured his leg so he retrofitted a few broken boards and a bully board. We are going to work out finding the best foil for these types of boards.  This is still very new and untapped.

Sam Pa’e tested the board today and reported that all went well.  He likes it over the current board he is riding from Wahoo Bully Boards.  He used the larger AXIS foil.  We are waiting on the details from his feedback to continue improving the design.  Excited to make a contribution on such a young sport.

UncleD how difficult is it to paddle/kick your way into a swell

The board is paddled upsidedown to get to the line up.  It is flipped over to catch waves but it does take some effort to catch waves but once the wave energy engages the foil and forward mometum is produce, it catches the wave. A few body adjustments are made to create lift.  The key is to keep it in a steady position while lifted.

Looks like an absolute bunch of fun.

Am I aloud to comment on how kinda funny it looks with flippers and being up so high out of the water. He he…

Absolutely not hassling you, cause what you are doing in is next level creative and ingenuity.

Here’s an article in Riptide magazine from 2006 doing the same but they converted an old foam bodyboard.

Cool stuff.  Thanks

That “paddling upsidedown to get to the line up” part makes me a little nervous. It seems to me like it could be dangerous in some situations, especially here on the right coast where waves are less predictable. Has anyone designing/using hydrofoils for surfing tried, or at least considered, having the foil arm on a double pin hinge so that it could be paddled right side up,with the foil folded directly beneath (or possibly recessed into) the main body of the board, and the foil lowered my some lever or other mechanism (haven’t finished visualizing that part yet :slight_smile: linked to the top? If the foil lowered “toward the tail” possibly water resistance at take off could be used to supply part of the work to deploy and lock it.

Interesting… Have you perhaps run across https://mypaipoboards.org/ - well down the page are links to some hydrofoil paipo/bodyboard info.

Hope that’s of use

doc…

Baby steps first… We are going for consistant lift,