Pintail Knowledge

Reaching out for some knowledge/input as I am stuck with a blank I have outlined upstairs. Here goes the novel!

This will be my third blank to shape and I thought I knew what I wanted until I rode my first longboard shape and now attempting to gain new knowledge to tweak the good and the bad, but this is an entirely different board. So this blank is from an 8’4SP outlined as my winter board. Dimensions are 8’3" x 17.25" x 22" x 13.75" x 3.00" pintail with WP @ +3". Right now it has 4.75" NR and 3" TR which is more tail rocker than my longboard @ 2.5"TR and 4.5"NR. Initially I was thinking of a flat entry into single concave leading to double concave spiral vee. The reasoning for the vee idea was to make it easier to initiate turns after riding the longboard that doesn’t initiated easily; however, I have since read that increased tail rocker should make it easier to turn. Is 3" something that will ease that turn or are they speaking of significant amounts of TR? 

Unsure of the answer, I’ve spent a good 2 weeks digging through any and all material I can find on shapes and rockers etc… and thought it might be good to reach out for some sanity with y’all. In that reading I did a lot of research on Mandala shapes and Andreini’s boards and believe I know one of the two routes I want to go, but please offer input. 

Option 1 is to stick with my original thinking and design it with entry 12" being flat transitioning to single concave  @1/4" for 18" before transitioning into a tri-plane vee. What I don’t know about this design is if those concaves will remove the rocker and stiffen the board up to much. Additionally, I tend to gravitate to initiating turns with my forward foot more so than back. Lastly I am not a cutback kind of rider - more like smooth turns with the face and find that vees are more aggressive.

That lead into Option 2 - Following more of andreini’s design on his serena pintail. Now I’ll say that this is the option I like more, but am not sure if the rocker will work with this well. For this design he starts with a custom blank with 0" TR. The entry is flat with belly beginning around 18" I think and apexing around the front foot before shallowing back out to flat for the last 1/3 of the board. Idea being to flat planing surfaces fore and aft with the belly for turn inititiation. I like this because its more front foot turn centric and not as aggressive as a vee… right? But will this work well with a 3" TR? I don’t know if that amount of TR with a belly will make the board to “turny” or perhaps sluggish with the hull type bottom and lots of rocker… 

The one thing I haven’t discussed is the fin set up. Initially I was planning on a single fin set up, but in reading it seems like a thruster might be a good option for this board. I think I’ve ruled out quad as I don’t prefer being on rail tons.

As I am sure you can tell I am a new surfer and newer shaping so please correct anything I’ve said and I appreciate any candid feedback and knowledge. At the end of the day I will just shape something and ride it to see and hopefully apply lessons learned so the next is better. Just trying to shorten that process and learn here. I probably missed some vital stuff up there for y’all to send more directed guidance so please ask

Thanks!