A couple builds for a great mentor Bill T

A pictorial rundown of some of my last few builds. 

Im sure all the stuff has been covered build wise else where but if anyone has any questions fire away. 

• gotta run - I’ll post pics later tonight. 

This particular board is near and dear - built start to finish. A Bill T plan shape and Rev D fin template. 

im sure build wise everything I’ve done has already been well documented but if there are any questions ask away  

2.250" old growth redwood stringer and tailblock (fully chambered) 

fin is a G10 skeleton with oldgrowth and balsa guts  

has a matte black finished gloss coat  

built for a local shop owner who’s only complaint was that when he let the shop kid ride it, he was ripping harder than he was.

he wanted a board for the small clean summer surf we get here - soft 50/50 rail pretty much the whole way to 70/30 in the back fin section - not a full hard edge like I have on mine that I ride in bigger surf but not a slug 50/50 either - 9"6 with I believe 4-ish inches of nose rocker (probably a touch more) and 3.5 in the tail. - flat deck and well foiled  

Fin

Actually here is another I built with the same template. 

it is a beautiful template and really works. 

I think I complemented  you before regarding these.  But great craftsmanship.  Too pretty to get dinged up at the Pier or in an Oceano kook collision.  So Esteem(formerly Damaged) is a Surf Shop now?  When it comes to boards like these, one has to ask himself if it’s the shape or the looks.  They are certainly unique in their looks.  But it reminds me of when I bought one of the very first Dale Velzy Surftechs strictly as a wall hanger. Karl and Fritz were nice enough to get Dale to Sharpie it for me.  When Karl Andrele delivered it to my house in Oceano, I commented about the Pig outline being nice.  Karl replied that he had been there and done that.  And had no desire to go back to riding old school pigs with D Fins on the tailblock.  Great nostalgia.  Beautiful wall hangers, but as a long boarder, would I want to be on one in overhead Drakes? Or even Saint Andrews?  Probably not.  Beautiful work.  Just not my ride.

Good thing no one was asking you. 

I have not finished this current build but I will by winter. Just needs a final sand and polish but it’s mostly there. 

The plan shape is based in a buzzy Trent model I have always loved and the bottom is based off a gene cooper c2 with single concave and big chines. I built a glider/gun a few years back and it rides incredibly well for a board that’s 11’4. There were a few thing slow about it I wanted to change- the pin tail and the fin shape - I wanted a square tail like I have on another board I build with a Bill T template and a fin closer to the one I have on that board as well . The 2/20. Many have ridden it, always a good time.

I also dropped the length of this board 10’10 - with the tail and fin I am hoping to get a little more responsiveness out of the bottom turn. Just a scotch less draw. 

here is a pic of my buddy on a fun one riding the 2/20. 

the board has a 2.5" center stringer made of the old pier - fully chambered and back filled with foam - 1" offset 1/4 stringers

all resin and lace inlay. 

build was inspired by a man named Black Elk. 

Sorry for the black blob on the shot of the tail section, it’s a tool I was asked by a friend to keep under wraps. If it was my creation I’d show it but it was not so I will honor his request. 

Here is a flush mount drill through.

Great job! Its always a bit of a risk to add all the buttons bells and whistles, but the end result justfies the gamble. A real piece of functional art.

Thanks huck!!

Haha.  You’re a genius too.

This is a 10"10 “fillet” hotcurl that is based on the duke plank and is very functional in what it does. This is a Josh Martin idea that he have me the go a head to mess around with. Ive made them in 6ft 8ft and this 10"10 - a surfing sensation like nothing else. 

these blanks for this board require a spine and this one also needed to be widened at the tail. The first one I shaped took me 4 days to slowly walk through - 3 drastically different rockers - conclaves and thicknesses. Fun fun!!!  

PS - if you live where there is kelp it’s a must have. I ride coves here people only dream about because they are stacked with kelp and fins would just never work.  - I have an 8ft version of this that works great in head high - double and I built this to see if I could get one to go good in real small rollers and while it does work in small stuff it works even better in a bit bigger surf.