Re-Resin Tinting Rails

Hi everyone,

I just finished shaping and laminating (with polyester resin) my first board. The shaping went pretty smoothly, but the laminating was a very messy process. When I laminated the bottom, I wasn’t able to tuck some parts of the rails because sadly, i didn’t know about resin pot life. I was pouring and spreading evenly all my resin throughout the bottom and the rails, thinking i had about 15 minutes before it kicked, and then I looked down at the bucket and it had completeley turned into jello within 5 minutes of mixing the catalyst. I think it was too hot in the shaping tent I set up for myself. I had to reglass those sections of the rails. (The darker gray sections closer to the nose and tail). Also, when i was cutting my lap, I waited a little to long to cut it, so the cut line came out jagged and uneven. Also, the rails came out super blotchy and uneven with resin. Just a mess.

My question is, can i re-resin tint the rails with no fiberglass (just like resin pinlines but for the whole rails) and create a clean, smooth, and even gray color for the rails? Has anyone ever done that? Should I do it before I add the sanding resin/ hot coat or after? Will the be problems when I do the sanded gloss cloat? I know these are a lot of questions but any advice would be appreciated to a new shaper.

Thanks,

Michael

Yes you could. But I would just carry on, and once you add a pinline between the deck & rail it’ll prob look just fine.

I had the same problem here, but a bit worst I would say. I’m afraid I will need to do a very tick pinline to cover all the zigzags from my lap cut.

As this is also my first board, i’m trying to find a way to fix it too.

@michaelpadilla123 If you found your answer, please let me know

Cheers

Au contraire plegge, once the pinline is placed, the eye will follow that, so the idea is NOT to follow the zig zag of the rail, or to be so fat as to completely cover it, but to create a smooth line for the eye.  A little sloppiness of the colored rail to one side or the other is visually minimized.  

1 Like