hot coat madness

hey all

poly hot coat.

better room temperature than many other times (times that just worked ok)

better preparation. surface, everything. 

I usually just eye ball the catalyst and the SA proportion. But I decided to go fancy and took a calculator, did the numbers,took proportions out of it, and all. 

I did it quick. did not over brushed it.

left the room when it was already kicking (15 min aprox). everything looked right. I could see the wax on the surface.

at the other day all of the surface is shinny and tacky. ok. no panic, I do the paper trick and seems to work but what I get now is an imposible to sand surface. 

did anyone ever got this kind of a surface? shinny. glass like. I attack it with the sander and it does not even scratch it. stays like a hard unsandable mirror reflecting my horror face on it

Good lord, WHAT HAPPENED?

A hard unsandable mirror like surface, if it did not need to be sanded, Would seem to be an ideal outcome.

I’ve no idea what happened with your resin/ surfacing agent/catalyst combo.

Can you scrape it with a razor blade, and if so is the layer exposed under that sandable?

Umm, couple of things- 

First off, I’m not familiar with the ‘paper trick’ under that name at least. Does it involve wax paper? 

Which leads me to my second thought- you may have dropped a decimal point or something when doing the maths for sanding addative and put in quite a lot. This, plus any other wax, would give you a shiny surface but that would be wax. Wax thick enough and slippery enough that sandpaper, especially relatively fine sandpaper, just won’t work.

Yeah, that’s real nice, but what are you going to do now? I’d give it a bit of a scrub, using acetone or even better styrene monomer ( that SA is a styrene wax thinned with styrene monomer) , a new white cotton rag or two ( said solvent will dissolve dyes on/in colored cloth and stain your hotcoat which you probably don’t want. Maybe dissolve artificial fibers too, which is why I said cotton) and see what you get.  With luck, the topcoat of wax will go away and you can sand happily. 

If not, hey, preserve it, you may have come up with a really good and durable clear coating. Stranger things have happened, like the invention of polyurethane foam rubber which happened when some chemical reagents were contaminated with some water. Look it up- guy called Otto Bayer, polyol and isocyanate plus a little water  

hope that’s of use

doc…

Another option for roughing the surface is steel wool.  Match grade with desired grit of sandpaper.

https://steelwooldirect.com/grades-and-applications/

If you break through the hard mirror surface, you can try sandpaper if you want.

Too much wax.