Glassing a Longboard with 4oz

I’m making myself a longboard happen to have ~60 yards of 4oz glass I picked up on craigslist a year or so ago.  I’m planning on using 2 layers of 4oz on the bottom with one layer wrapping the rail and one cut to the planshape, and then three layers of 4oz on the top with two wrapping the rails and one cut to the planshape.  I would end up with 12oz on top, 8oz on bottom, and 12oz on the rails.  Would the swaylocks guru’s advise against this?  I’ve glassed 14 boards now (all epoxy) and feel fairly comfortable with the process.  Properly saturating 3 layers will be tricky, but I’ve done it succesfully with deck patches (using 6oz) in the past.  My biggest concern would be wrapping two layers of glass around rails without getting bubbles or dry spots.  In addition, cutlapping through two layers may be tricky but I figure that since I have the bottom alright cured, cutlapping will be managable.  I can always fully cure and grind down to tape as well (i.e. post cure cutlap).  Thanks for any advice!

Pretzel

You’re fine.  You already have an understanding of the pitfalls and solutions.  You should have no problem on the cutlap if you time it to insure that all layers are gel and bonded to each other.  Better to cut than grind if you can.

There is no rule that says you have to glass all 3 layers of 4 oz at the same time if you are not comfortable doing it. Just a thought.

Yeah I wouldn’t glass 3 layers at once, if it were me.

If you work with epoxy , lam each layer separetly when first layer is green give a thicker ie flexuraly stiffer ie stronger against buckling and denting skin. But cost time and weight. Razor cut lap is cleaner even if tint, must be done in right window. Sanding cut lap work each time, with double layer of good masking tape.

Thanks all for the input.  If there’s decent swell coming I’ll probably just do them all at once.  If I have some free time I might try seperately.  I’ve actually heard that some glass shops get a deeper look to their colorwork by glassing an extra layer of clear 2oz on top (whether or not this is true I do not know) so it could be intersting to try with my final 4oz layer.  It would also be neat to make two offset cutlaps as I haven’t seen anyone do that before.  Maybe do a red tint on bottom, yellow on top, and I’ll get multiple shades of orange on the rails.  Plenty of fun options - thanks all.