Resin Tint Tail Patches + Fin Boxes revisited

I’m doing a 2+1 midlength with a resin tint and I’d like to put a tail patch over the fins.

I’ve installed futures in a couple of my tinted boards by laminating first, routing for the fin boxes next, and laminating them in with clear patches. But in this one I want to use a tinted patch over the entire tail.

I’ve looked at some older posts. Some recommend post-lam boxes with clear patches. But that seem to defeat the functional purpose of the tail patch. Others recommended laminating the tail patch and the bottom at the same time. I’ve tried that with a deck patch and it seems like there is a pretty big risk of that patch shifting and becoming mishapen (I only have like 15 boards under my belt).

I was thinking about doing it this way.

1.) Lam the deck.

2.) Rout and install the fin boxes.

3.) Lam the patch with the cutlap method. This way the shape of the the patch will be whatever the lap cutout is. Also by lamminating the deck first there will be less risk of damaging foam with knocking down the edges of the tail patch around the rail.

4.) Lam the bottom of the board.

Thoughts?

You could do this. Mask off and glass the tinted tail patch first. Carefully install fin boxes. Laminate the bottom over the fin boxes. Laminate the deck.

Just watch the edge of the tail patch that its flat before glassing, I use a little roller or burnisher to push the edge down just before glassing over.

You’ve done enough boards to have a pretty good instinct, just do whatever seems best to you, work carefully, should be fine.