D fin advice

I’m ready for a fin and bottom hotcoat on this Piggiah log.

It’s 9’8 * 23 1/4 x 3 1/8, 17" nose and 16 3/4" tail. 

I had originally planned for a D fin, and picked up a glass on but it was slightyl sub standard, so I’ve made a couple nice glass panels to make my own fin. 

It will be used in sub chest cornish beach breaks

Question is, what size D fin. Should I be using a more curvy back edge or should I be looking for a flow through fin

I’d like to try the D fin first, if it’s a dog I can Allways change the fin, but a few of my buddy’s, who are very enthusiastic about pigs swear by them for our beachys

10" base, 8" tall, on a 9’ 9" 60s pig. Haven’t ridden it yet, so can’t comment on prformance, but it is the original fin and I assume pretty close to the original size & shape.

Be interestiing to see your replies, cuz I’m gonna make a new fin & fix this old beater up, so I’ll be watching. But for now my plan is to copy the fin on the board.

Aloha Huck, 

That fin, and it’s dimensions, are consistant with boards in the 1960 to 1962 time window.       Some even up into the 1964/65 time period.     The fin is made with glass mat.       The more advanced builders in that same time period, were getting superior fin performance, and by extension, superior board performance, by using thick foiled wood fins.      You might want to go in that direction too.

Thanks Bill, then that’s exactly the direction I will go. Yes mine appears to have been made with glass mat, but was badly damaged and poorly rebuilt, among other problems.  A thick foiled wood fin should be just the ticket.

I used the original fin as a template & added a little faux aging to match the beat up old board its going in