How much resin to use making a fin?

Decided to use the leftover glass/resin I have to make an FCS Fusion style fin (two tab). I’m gonna make the panel on a sheet of wax paper, as I’ve read thats an effective method. I just don’t know how much resin to use for the whole thing, does anyone have a measurement that’s worked for them making a similar fin?

How much? As little as possible. Treat it as you would any other lamination. Saturate the glass and squeegee the excess out.

Use a fin roller to work out any air bubbles and excess resin.

The strongest laminations in industry run about 50/50 to 60/40 resin/glass cloth by weight.

However, on the high end (50/50) that includes vaccum bagging and a good degree of skill and experience. As this is gonna be a hand lamination and your first time, I’d make up a minimum of **twice **the weight of resin to the weight of your cloth. And note that I say minimum’.  You will squeegee out the excess, it’s wasted but them’s the breaks. 

Also, as this is gonna be a relatively very thick lamination and it’s gonna take a while to do, go a little light on catalyst. Between giving you a longer pot life to work with and the heat building up you’ll get as the resin goes off, it’s a good way to go. 

hope that’s of use

doc… 

Take a look at this:

https://www.swaylocks.com/groups/laying-fibreglass-fin-panel

Too much resin in the mix and your fin will develop cracks when it flexes.