Newspaper Surfboard

So I’m thinking about a wierd idea of putting newpapers on my surfboard as a graphic. If I were to do this, should I put it under the hotcoat or directly on the foam, under the fiberglass. If you guys have a better method feel free to tell me or if you think it’s a stupid idea tell me.

Once the resin, of any kind hits the paper, printing on BOTH sides will show through!     You’ll have a real mess, IMO.

Yeah, now that Bill puts it that way, using newsprint seems like a bad idea.  You might be able to take a photocopy of a newspaper page and use that, though.   Then the other side of the page is blank.   

I think some people have done it but just in general, I’m not fond of using overly large non-cloth layers in between my core and my lamination.    But using one in between layers might be okay.   

Kinda random but I might as well ask you now. So I plan on shaping a 5’ 6 x 20.5" x 3" groveler with about 37 liters of volume. What rail dimensions would you recommend I use.

Kinda random but I might as well ask you now. So I plan on shaping a 5’ 6 x 20.5" x 3" groveler with about 37 liters of volume. What rail dimensions would you recommend I use.

Using real newspaper will be a damned mess.  Have “Boardlams” Prolams"(whatever their name is) make you a Ricepaper lam or print directly onto 4 oz. cloth.  The other option is to have a sign shop make a newsprint “Vinyl Wrap” and apply it to the sanded, finished board.

Just to add confusion to the discussion, Dan Mann did the newspaper thing successfully with epoxy on his prototype Chum Lee many years ago.  He used epoxy and lam’ed it agains the foam.  You might find a pic somewhere if you search.

all the best, 

Go for it.  Start a build thread, because we will all be curious.   That board’s a beaut!  But if it’s like our local paper  “The Headlight Herald”(no joke),  you can read the whole thing in less than five minutes.  And;  That includes, Headline, Arrest Blog, Obits and Calf Births.