Ah yes I see what you are saying. Vacuum bagging is starting to make more sense to me.
I did a studdy for composites airplane parts design and building process, we found that the only way to have improvement of vaccum bagging is with full process with right materials, peel ply is needed to help resin spread to perf of perf ply and to peel it right.
All in all thin monolithique board skin have to be waterthight and flexural/buckling résistant, for both hand lam with right process gives better results ( weight/strengh) than vacbag.
Over the weekend, I routed & installed the future fins boxes. This is the 1st time I've installed the boxes after laminating the bottom so I added a tail patch of 4 oz over all thgwe boxes (see 2nd photo). I also ran a small 4 oz. stirrup inside each box cavity. I like to do this as Kitesurfing tends to be a little harder on the fins & boxes.
I also finished stripping the red stucco tape & protection from the top deck. i also laid out & cut the Mahogony veneer top deck & routed & installed the Chinook footstrap inserts. If you look closely , you'll see that I installed a "Tongue depressor" strongback on the outside edge of the inserts as well & also installed a 6 oz stirrup with 2" wings out onto the top deck. I hope to lam & bag the top deck this week.
Yeah I do a tail patch over all three on Post Glass installs. Easier than dealing with "footballs". My Post Glass installs are done on tints and opaques. Painted blanks and clears are pre glass of course.
Laminated & Vacuum Bagged the top deck including the Mahogony veneer. The glassing schedule is as follows" layer of 6 oz. "e" cloth, then multiple carbon fiber patches in the foot areas, then the Mahogony veneer deck which I cap with one more layer of 6oz. e cloth. Once again, I wet the cloth out on a table and transfered it to the blank, squeeged to the blank & cut in place.
I wanted to start out by giving a "major props" to John Mellor who was kind enough to come over and lend an extra set of hands. His knowledge and experience mdae the job extremely easy. That's what's great about Swaylocks. Members helping each other out. I owe him "big time".
1st photo-I always put chinook 5 hole footstrap inserts in my boards just in case. It can be difficult locating the holes afterwards since their hidden by the wood veneer. My solution- place a 10d finish nail (point up) in the front & rear hole of each insert. I usually wrap a few times around the bottom of each nail to "snug them up" in the hole.Before wetting out the cloth & veneer, I will align the the veneer (starting at the nose of the board) & gently roll it down towards the nails til they poke thru. After that, I slightly enlarge the holes with an awl to be ready for "lamming". After laminating ( but before bagging), I pull the nails out.
2nd photo-Lay-up is all complete and I've applied my "homemade" perf ply followed by 2 layers of paper towels (to absorb excess resin) & finally followed with breather cloth before going into the bag. For this layup, I used 2 mil plastic which was strong enopugh that I could pull on it to remove wrinkles.
3rd & 4th photos- Were posted at the request of John M. This is a "homemade " bag closure clamp I made.In the past, I've always used those "snap on" clamp closures that you buy from the supply house. I've never had any luck with them as they were difficult to apply & always seemed to tear my bag a little requiring me to slightly shorten the bag after each pull. This is my solution. This is now the third time I've used it and it is easy and works great.
Last photo- Board in bag pulling 9 to 11 " hg.
That bag clamp device is very slick. Quick, easy and effective.
That nail trick is genius. I have done Carbon decks on surfboards a few times and that little trick would have made life easier. When you gloss or spray your Polyurethane finish coat; filling the holes with flour works well. That's an old Sailboard trick. I like using modeling clay or putty better though. I am assuming you sail/surf that spot where the Elephants hang out(haul out). Trying not to name names, but a decent surf spot.
Yes, that is one spot, but I surf/kite all up & down the coast from pismo to the north.
Wow looking great!
Since I'm building this board partially outside , weather has factored into my completing the board. We've had a couple of minor winter storms & some major winds (gale force on one of them which tore down my "temporary bay" tarp) so progress hasn't been quite what I was hoping for.
The 1st photo is during the hot coating of the bottom. The weather "killed me" on this. Every time I mixed up the epoxy, the wind would come up & start flapping the tarp. This kept dropping debris onto the wet out. Ended up sanding & hot coating 3 times. Very frustrating. I'm going to have to find an indoor solution for this.Because of this the board ended up slightly heavier than I planned (~10.5#) but I'm not to worried as kiteboards don't need to be super light.
2nd & 3rd photos are of the finished hot coated/sanded board with 3 coats of acrylic sealer applied.