Old longboard repairs

I picked up an old long board to “relearn” on 3 years ago.   The old boy is banged up and needs some love.   So I thought this would be a fun project, that could lead me to doing something similar for my daughters first board.   

tali box was cracked and let a bunch of water in, so I dug it out, a bunch of delam aroud it, more to go.   I’m curious about the top board where the foam is brown and swollen near the stringer.   My thought is to replace fin box, securing with resin and some filler, square it up, fill the damage around the box rough sand it smooth.  Then flip it over and remove the glass aroud the swollen foam and clean that mess up.  Then a couple layers of 6oz glass to strengthen it all up.  

The rest of the board needs love too, big delam area, several dings ang cracks on the nose and rails.   Clean all that up, 4 or 6oz glass to clean that up, I’ll also fill depressions etc and try to get it smooth.   I want to then coat the whole board with resin mixed with opaque white to cover up the repairs.   My daughter then wants to add some art, then cover it with a translucent blue coat.  Sand and end with a gloss coat. 

Am I walking down the right path with the tal box and repairs on the top?  Should I skip the opaque white coat and replace that with paint instead?   I have never taken on a project like this, been fun so far. 

oh, living in South Orange County, any recommendations on where to pick up all the supplies?   I was eyeballing the shop in Oceanside.  

thanks 

I don’t think there’s any right or wrong answers with a project like that (other than make double sure its dry inside), you just have to work your way through it, based on what you know how to do.  Looks like a pretty amibitious undertaking.  If it were me I would just try to patch it as neatly as possible, and call it good.  Forget all the other cosmetic stuff. Nothing wrong with the look of a well done patch job on an old favorite longboard.

My daughter has been wanting to customize a board (she is 11) and riding a soft top at boneyard.  I figured I can’t make this bad boy any worse.   Then I can find her beat up a 6’6" funboard we can fix abs she can decorate.  Winter project for us in the garage :) 

hey I upgraded to a Stewart Hydro Glide serial number 71,342, I’m guessing it was shapped in the early 1990’s.   It has a few dings and a delamed ding that this board will prepare me for :).  Funny to upgrade to a board shaped about the time I graduated HS.   That being said, it is fun to ride.  

[Quote], big delam area, several dings ang cracks on the nose and rails.   Clean all that up, 4 or 6oz glass to clean that up, I’ll also fill depressions etc and try to get it smooth.   I want to then coat the whole board with resin mixed with opaque white to cover up the repairs.   My daughter then wants to add some art, then cover it with a translucent blue coat.  Sand and end with a gloss coat.
[/quote]

It would take some pretty exceptional resin skills to successfully pull this off.  Not to mention a fairly substantial increase in board weight. Not saying it can’t be done, but it wouldn’t be my idea of a fun project to do with an 11 year old,. You know what you’re capable of better than I do, so I’m just giving my gut feeling here.

If you are in south OC you don’t need to drive to O’side for materials;  Basham’s in San Clemente has everything you need. 

https://www.bashamsfactorysurfshop.com/