What fin for 10 - 6 vintage pig? Clueless

I am fixing up an old 10 - 6 longboard pig, the original fin was butchered & will be replaced.

I have a D fin template from this board maker,(surfboards by challenger), that is prob what it had. But I can put whatever I want.

I want this to be a board for surfing, not just a wall hanger. And I have zero experience with pigs & with D fins. And its a glass on fin.

I’m prob for sure gonna do a thick foiled wood fin. So educate me: what fin is best for this scenario? Hatchet? Pivot? Greenough? D - fin?

A ten inch “Pivot”.

A ten inch “Pivot”.  Or;  An old style Noll or Yater.   Thick is right.  The old Noll and Yaters were thick.

Like this?

Some more from google search. I’m kinda partial to that black fin on the yellow board but strictly for aesthetic reasons - it just looks so cool! Maybe with a little less rake.

That wood Yater looks nice too, but not really a pivot fin I guess. It looks like a fin I would put on my 9’ rounded pintail, high aspect ratio & not a lot of rake, I like the way it loosens the board up. Just don’t know if it would work on a piggy type shape.

Yes, that’s a pivot.  The bottom Yater and the bottom fin in your post.  The first two Noll are Da Cat style fins and not what would be on an old board of that shape.   That bottom fin was pretty common in 65.  Some Pivots don’t have that much curve in the leading edge.  That is a nice one.  Appealing because of the extra curve.

The black Yater fin is probably the closest thing to what was being used just after D fins were being phased out. Called a “speed fin” back then. I would avoid a D fin just because they hinder performance.

Here’s a selection of fin outlines from the first run of Wavesets. A few of them would be a good fit, as these designs were typical of the mid 60s. All except the Weber. I would not use one of them unless it was for an original Performer.

How about a fin box? 

If I wasn’t going to use a fiberglass flex fin then I also wouldn’t use a template with the narrow tip.   

Jim Phillips has been using the D-fins but mounted a little forward.    He’s also used a fin that looks like a tall D-fin with with a straight trailing edge.   the Top board in the pic from his website shows that fin from the side.  It looks like he’s got it mounted ~5" or so forward of the tail.  Which that’s what he’s known for.      

jimthegenius.com/Jim_Phillips_Surfboards/Stock.html

Ok thnx guys so many good & helpful suggestions! A lot to process, but I’m currently leaning to something like this…

(I did consider a finbox but couldn’t bring myself to do it)

Looks similar to a fin I saw recently on a vintage Lance Carson. 

Were those bad boys foiled or pretty flat with minimal rounding?

I like it!

The ones I’ve seen are flat, mine will be fully foiled.

has the board no label captain huck

this would be an instant clue…

…ambrose…

Not trying for an exact replication just a period correct approximation

the fin in picture looks correct only the bottom curve has been sanded flat by sliding on the road or dragging in the sand from tijuana slougs to leo carillo state park beach .

put a new bead on the fin attatched and restore the curve…