Vee pivot with single fin vs 2+1

I like the way vee loosens up single fin midlengths and longboards. i see them as a single pivot point. I’ve always started mine at the mid point and ended them right in front of the fin box, peaking between those two points with a height of 1/4". But I just realized that I usually have the leading edge of my single fins sitting about 3" back from the end of the front of the box, so maybe I should end the vee there instead. To complicate it further, Im think of adding side bites for hold on larger waves, but then I would probably slide the center fin forward a bit, making the pivot point start a bit further up.

I also read here about folks running them right out the back of the tail, but I wonder if that directs the water away from the fin, making for a slower turn. When I look at boards in local shops, i usually see it running right out the tail BUT theyre usually 5 fin setups, and that cant be ideal. I mean that vee cant be optimum for all the different fin configurations possible. Am I thinking right here?

Longer boards to the rear of the box;  5, 5 1/2 or 6".  Sidebites @ extreme 17", 16 1/2 or 16" and as far back as 15 1/2".  If your center box is set right and the fin is centered in the box;  when the waves get bigger all you have to do is add the sidebites.  In Hawaii I rode a 9’4" with the center box at six inches and the sidebites at 17 or 16 1/2".  Fin was usually at the center of the box.  Usually did not put the sidebites in unless the waves were well overhead and steep at someplace like Honolua or a couple of other unnamed lefts.

To clarify, you’re saying with that setup your vee ends 5-6" from tail end?

And regarding smaller builds 7-7’6", my design would change if I expected to take it ito overhead waves. I think softer rails, pulled tail, and concave, along with thruster or quads might be a better fit, and vee wouldnt be in the equation 

I’ve never done vee that way.    I use a little belly or a blended chine to smooth out the ride.   I use a little vee at the fins.   I’ve also done the “dome” at the main fin a few times (that worked for those boards).  I know some people put a little vee in the nose on boards being used in bigger conditions (cuts through chop), but I’ve never done vee in the middle of the board.  

Well, it’s time to do some testing of my own then. Thanks!

Soft V just Infront of the fin box and thru.   Very soft but still noticeable by sight or running your hand across that area.

ok, i’ll try this. i also saw same idea from Dave Parmenter. thanks mcding