Idea for neck pain, adding a soft headrest on a surfboard

i surf mainly a mal, and ive been having issues with neck pain as i surf alot in fiji when there is waves ( mostly namotu lefts )

I use the Ergotube vest, but it doesnt really do much for my neck.

I paddle sometimes with my forehead down for a few breaths at a time, this is fine when u first paddling out or nowhere close to the wave breaking.

the thing that would work the best imo is, either

1. a forehead rest, where u have ur head pointed down (for best ergonomic position)

2. a chin rest, so you can look forward, but dont need ur neck muscles to support your head in that position, it can just rest on the chinrest of the surfboard.

am i just an old crazy kook or has anyone thought of this before? to me it makes perfect sense i know why my neck hursts, 4 hour sessions sometimes 7 days in a row. but i want to figure out the most optimal way to make the issue better.

You need to know why your neck hurts. It could be something serious and you could be risking becoming a quadriplegic. I had neck issues in the late 90s. Started with what I thought was muscle, but it turned out I had 2 damaged cervical discs. I had to fuse C4-5-6 in 2000, but that allowed me to surf without fear of damaging my spinal cord. I’ll surf 2 to 4 hours a session, but a lot of that is waiting for waves or waiting for my turn.

If you don’t have disc issues, you may just need to find the right exercises that will build up your neck muscles. I often find that I have more neck issues when I don’t surf for long periods. I’ve been out of the water since the beginning of August because of surgeries and injuries, so I’m going to have to be careful when I get back in the water. I wear a neck collar/brace when I sleep, and often after surfing. 62 and hopefully surfing till I can’t walk, or see anymore.