FCS II install depth

Ive set my FCS II plugs with the box just ever so slightly below the foam, but the bottom tip of the box (closest to the tail) is sticking out above the foam a little bit. I guess I sanded a bit unevenly towards the tail, I added some Vee. Im about to hot coat and then sand, will this become a problem for the fin box? What is the “perfect depth” for FCS II plugs? 

Hello SM,

I have yet to try these, maybe someone else can help…I take it you have the installation instructions?

FCS2 Install Guide

The time to have fixed the box being too high was before laminaring the board.  Ideally you wouldn’t be too high to begin with.    Now you will be sanding away valuable glass fibers in the high spot.  In the future err on the side of routing your box every so slightly too deep.  I’m talking the thickness of a finger nail here.  You can then test fit and shim the box up with a little masking tape under the box to get the perfect height before you permanently set the boxes.

That’s a good idea, wish I thought of that beforehand lol. Would you say I should try to get the top of the flange just above the foam? Or the box flush with the foam, and the flange sticking up above the foam. 

It would be better to NOT sand thru the glass to make sure the glass is dead flat behind the fin , just sand it smooth , go surf you wont notice anything .