Surfboard repairs - Colour matching and clear coats

I have a question about using acrylic clear coats and Behr Low-Lustre Sealer. I do a lot of repairs and used to use Painter’s Touch 2X Satin Clear spray but have recently started using the Behr Sealer as recommended by many Swaylocks users. They work fine over repairs - painted or not - on parts of the board that are not waxed, but how do they hold up under wax?

This is particularly a concern when trying to colour match a repair. I sometimes use just Painter’s Touch 2X spray paint for plastic and it adheres really well to both epoxy and poly finishes and is super durable, can be wet sanded and polished to a nice shine without a clear coat. Krylon is equally good but more difficult to find - at least in Canada. However, it’s often hard to colour match with the limited colours available in a can. Doing a colour match requires using some sort of less dense acrlic paint, which requires a clear coat over top to protect it from the water and elements.

Will the clear coat or sealer flake or peel off when removing the wax? I haven’t done any long-term testing but in the short term, using mineral spirits or alcohol to remove wax (which I often do) will strip the clear coat/sealer right off the board. What are others using to avoid this problem short of having to use a 2-part automotive clear coat? I have also tried puting a coat of epoxy over painted repairs, which seems to work well if properly prepped, but I generally end up buring through the epoxy and into the paint when sanding.

Thanks for the help!

msb3

Obviously any of these sprays or sealers will get damaged if they are hit with the right solvent.  I’ve never had Behr sealer flake or peel.  You’re putting on such a thin layer that it wouldn’t even be possible.

I have never once used any kind of solvent to remove wax. For more than 50 years all I’ve done is let it soften in the sun, scrape it off with a plastic spatula or putty knife, then rub away the residue with a rag. If you are worried about alcohol or mineral spirits removing your clear coat, just use another method to remove your wax.

Not so easy when you live in Canada, especially when doing repairs during the winter. People surf all year round here and use a lot of cold water wax.

Remove the excess with a plastic putty knive or as Sammy says a plastic spatula.   Do this in a warm room, not out in the snow.  Then use “low odor” "Mineral Spirits and a a soft rag or towel to remove the residue.  Let it soak a bit and dissolve the wax residue as you go.  You’re scrubbing on it too hard.  Any solvent will disolve a finish if you scrub hard enough and keep applying it.   DNA Alcohol will dissolve dry paint.  Lacquer thinner will dissolve Varnish and lacquer no matter how many years they have been on.  Keep applying it and scrubbing on it and any finish will be affected.  You’re over doing it.   Both the Behr and the Satin Clear are what I have used for years.  With good results I might add.

Thanks for the info, McDing. I have seen many of your posts over the past couple of years, so I know you’re the real deal.