Screened leveling tool

I like flat bottoms so I’ve been looking for ways to make them easier. Current tool is this 20lb piece of yellow pine with sanding screen glued down. I cut it into this pattern of pieces so the foam dust channels through, instead of sitting out front as you push. All I have to do it drag it back and forth across the whole length and the weight of it pushes down in a uniform way. Working out quite well. I also quarter-rounded the wood edges so it doesnt dig into the foam anywhere. Hope its useful to someone else

Love it ! Great idea thank you.

So many of these types of tools out there.  What you’ve done is said; Why buy something online? When I can just make it.  Necessity is the Mother of Invention.  I noticed that there is somebody over on the “Surf Shop” forum trying to buy a Pleskunas sanding block which was made and marketed by Stanley Pleskunas back in the 80’s – 90’s.  Similar.  Greenlight also makes something similar.  The problem is that flat bottoms are inadequate and very limited in performance.

Making your own tools forces you to understand them better, it’s satisfying, and you save cash

That is true.  And I have built and adapted quite a few.  But every so often someone else comes up with something that is too good and too effective to not use.  The fin marker that Pete Casica and Terry Senate came up with comes to mind. 

I have built and adapted quite a few.

“The rail marker that Pete Casica and Terry Senate came up with comes to mind.” 

Do you mean the fin marker that lines up with the stringer with the little peg that hits the rail?  

https://www.swaylocks.com/archive/62289/2003-self-12-12-x-15-x-18-finjig

Yes my bad .  Edited.

Really!  Can you post a pic of one.  Please.