Old Board Backstory

Any Sherlock Holmes types out there with a vast knowledge of 80s (I think) boards?

So, here’s the deal…

I live in Thailand and some guys have been scoring a ton of mostly older second hand boards, I believe from Japan. The majority are beat up thrusters not new enough to have any value nor old enough to have that inherent vintage nostalgia…except this one I just found. 

Scoured the internet (or at least the first couple pages of googel search results) for Palm Lines Australia Design and nada. It says “Custom Twin for H. Ozaki” and is signed by what looks like J. Monk or Munk? Hard to read. Looks like from the MR twin era, but many of you are far more enlightened than I.

The strange thing is it seems like it’s never been surfed as evidenced by the lack of pressure dings on deck. One of the glassed on fins has been reattached pretty well except for the cant being off. The tail tips were messed up and the foam is bright white with no yellowing (Clark Foam light weight) or noticeable shrinkage. Also, it has no leash plug. So was it intended to not be surfed? Was it not surfed because they forgot to install the leash plug? It’s a nice shape with an excellent glass job so doubt it was built for decoration.

I’m captivated by the lure of the mystery. Anyone have any insight?

Cheers

Believe it or not, people surfed for over 100 years without a leash.

My guess is that they just forgot to install it.

May have been shaped just prior to the use of leashes.  There were people doing their own aftermarket leash attachments from 1970 on, but the modern day leash “Plug” had yet to come along.  

Those neanderthals! Just kidding, but I was under the impression that by the MR twin era most boards like this had leash plugs. It’s a custom board so anything is possible I suppose. 

I was thinking by the time this design of board was getting popular they mostly had leash plugs. That being said, I have no idea when this board was made. Any idea?

OK,  show me pic of Mark on one of his Fish with a leash plug and the appropriate date for the pic.  Was just looking at several pics of Richards on MR Twin Fins fron 1970 thru 1980.  Did not see a leash, but prove me wrong please.

Are you sure? MR says on his website he started shaping in '77. The first 3 pics I found all show leashes and/or leash plugs. Trust me, I don’t know much which is why I’m here asking around :wink:

Many people resisted using a leash well into the 70s, especially on the North Shore.  Boards like this did not exist prior to the mid 70s or later. Richards spent the winter of 76/77 studying with Dick Brewer on the North Shore and refining his shaping skills. It was after that when he began riding twin fins inspired by Reno Abellira.  So the Richards style twin was created in 1977. This info is on his own website.

You won’t find any pics of him riding a fish because he didn’t ride those. I doubt that he ever did.

Anyway…

This board was made well after leash plugs became a standard item. It is no older than 1977 and may even be from the early 80s.

The fact it has no plug means nothing, except that either:

1 They forgot to install it

or

2 It’s obviously a custom order and H Ozaki didn’t want a plug.

My guess is #2.

Yes, that’s of course what I meant as far as him and the MR twins in relation to this board I have.

I also agree that the plug was likely purposely left out. 

Anyone know anything about the brand or shaper?

Just saying that all the pics brought up of  Mark Richards surfig show no leash.  Searched but didn’t find.  I would agree that this particular board was most likely made after leash plugs were in vogue.

The board in the original post is screaming 1980-1982.

That seems pretty likely. The condition of the board makes it seem more recent, but the shape and especially the glass ons seem pretty old school.