Returning to Swaylocks and shaping after a 10 year break

Hi Guys

Im thinking about returning to shaping after a 10 year break. I was an avid swaylockian back in the day and am now returning to 1. catch up with some old swaylocks friends 2. catch up on the latest trends,suppliers etc and try to remember what I learnt for all those years. Some of you may remember me as MDS but I had to log in as a new member cause I couldnt remember my log in details. Hense the new name. Why the return? My wife and I moved to North Queensland 10 years ago for a lifestyle change. Was great but no surf and criters in the water that want to kill you. 18 months ago, our daughter had our first grandchild so we made the decision to move back home to be with the family. So now, i have this erge to start shaping and surfing again.Trouble is, I dont have any equipment and I cant remember much of what I learnt over the years (most likely age related) I will be pretty much starting from scratch.

Anyway, I look forward to picking all of your brains again and catching up.

Cheers

Welcome back.   

Thats great! Congratulations!

I started shaping my own boards when I started surfing again at age 54. You’ll be back into foam dust & resin drips in no time.

Gday MDS,

Were you into computers? I vaguely recall contact with someone who had a ‘name’ like yours, in relation to a mate who had board files in an obscure CAD program. I was trying to help with a program that would read them.

I gather North Qld has some surf opportunities, but they are limited and  have the added attraction of crocodiles.

Regards

Bob

Hi Bob

Dont think that was me mate. I did a few rocker templates on ACU shaper but thats about it. 

No surf in Nth QLD unless a cyclone has whipped up some storm swell. Great barrier Reef stops any swell reaching shore. There were a few day where a nice little wave (I mean tiny) would wrap around the point near my house and could get a 100 meter ride on my SUP’s… Just

And yes… Crocodiles, marine stingers, sharks all present. Lets just say you had one eye on your activity and the other on the lookout.

Cheers

welcome back :slight_smile: