Second leash plug over fin box

Hi all,

I want to add a second leash plug to this half-finished board that has been sitting around for too long. I would like to keep the second plug in the stringer, but do not have much room (if any) to fit it.

If I place the second plug in front of the first, part of the leash plug will lay directly above the center fin box. According to my slightly conservative measurements there should be 1/16" of stringer between the fin box and leash plug channels. (See Attatchments)

This seems risky to me because there is essentially no stringer left and I would be worried of there being little strength in the tail at that point.

Should I just place the second plug in the foam adjacent to the first? Or any other possible solutions?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Cole

I wouldn’t do it.   Unless this is a big wave board you shouldn’t need any more hold than what you already have.    If I was that set on adding more hold for my leash I’d add a glass-on leash loop before I’d cut into that stringer any more.    

Unless you are surfing damned big waves, you don’t need it.  But as long as you have enough depth putting it in on top of the fin box is not a problem.  Use 1/32" milled fiber for the install and it will be plenty strong. The 1/16 or less foam and the milled fiber will essentially attach the plug to the fin box.   Having said that;  A better idea is to do a “drill thru” attachment that will attach your leash to the fin box itself.  The alteration to the deck will be minimal.  A 3/8" hole on the deck at the back of the fin box that is packed with milled fiber and the a 1/8 or 1/4 hole drilled thru that your leash string is threaded thru.

Thanks for the reply. This is a 7’4 semi gun so it’ll probably be fine with a single, although I’ve never pulled a plug so I would’nt really know. I’ll have to consider the leash loop.

Have you ever seen a “drill thru”??  You’d have to pull your whole fin box thru the deck.  Not likely?

From his diagram it looks like he’s using the little 1/2" Future finbox in the rear.  

Mcding, I have not seen one before. I am pretty new to this stuff.

I was looking at other discussions about the “drill thru” method. Are you able to do one with a standard 4.5" futures box? It does not seem like there would be room for a knot in the finbox.

If you are using a small Futures box no it can’t be done.  My bad.  In that case don’t bother, because you will never pull a preglass Futures plug out of a Shortboard.  Guns sometimes have two.  Usually placed either side of the stringer.

If you measured, measured again, and then measured once more and still have a 1/16 buffer, put it the spot you want.  Even if your measurement is off by a smidge, you still have some room to shave some plastic off the box in the hole and/or grind a little off the bottom of the plug.  I don’t think inserting another along the stringer  compromises strength that far back.

A glassed on leash loop would seem to be the next alternative.  

Do it :)