I miss an old board. Shouldn’t have let it go.

Yeah, your first board. Whatever.  (Mine was a Harbour Cheater and I want that one back too.)

But I have had some really stellar boards that I have let slip through my fingers for various reasons.  None seem valid now.  But no one forced me.

The one I think about now was a 5-10 Epoxy twin fin fish that GL shaped for me when I lived in Charleston.  It had to be 1995.  Probably. But it had full keels, and they were slotted.  I had never seen that before.  One of GL’s guy would take what I assume to be a Dremel tool and cut an angled slot about 1/3 of the way back.  The board would not spin out no matter how hard I turned.  Probably ended up in a trash can somewhere by another disrespecting guy looking for his next board.

Am I alone in this?

all the best, 

please feel free to explain more on the slots if you like. :slight_smile:

as far as missing boards, theres one that comes to mind. its still mine, i hope, but its stored

in SD. i was going to bring it home last time, but ended up buying a mitsven egg and opted to take

that one home on the plane.

board in mind is a anderson/bojorges malibu special.

Old skull,

I always liked that Anderson.  Any chance of pulling a templet off of it next time you are around it?

Funny.   But not so funny.  I was thinking awhile back when you unloaded all that stuff that you were moving too fast.   Yeah in my mind I have pictures of boards I will never forget.  And; the waves they rode.  Some I shaped some I didn’t.   Lots of classic stuff: like a 7’10 Hamel/Cunningham Egg, Russel Brotherhood 6’6, Yater 7’2,  a couple of nice Central Coast boards shaped by Steve Mussinger when he was in Cayucos., 7’10 rounded Pin and an 8’2" mini mal,  three or four 80’s Thrusters by Rusty when he was at Canyon, lots of good boards by John Mel at Freeline( most especially a 9’4 rounded pin Noserider that snapped before I got around to discovering its full potential). A nice 7’10 rounded squash with a fuller nose by Doug Haut.  Of my own a nice 10’er that was the second board I shaped when I started back up in the 90’s etc. etc.  Even if I am getting too old to take them back to places like Sewer Peak, Mala and Cojo, I’d like to be able to look at them while I drank a Corona to some good loud music and reminisce.  Although I still have a half a dozen I hung onto two or three of my own, a Lauren Yater, Phil Edwards etc.  They are like old friends. 

Oldskull, I have an Anderson as well and is one of my faves. Mines a Farberow model. Don’t get to ride it enough as most of our waves are steep beachbreaks that call for a shorter board. But when I do, it just brings smiles.

60’s - 9’8 Wardy, 9’8 Trestle Special, 9’8 Hansen Master 

70’s - Dick Keating 7’6 single fin pin and 5’10 twinnie, Cowboy 6’4 single fin pin, Chuck Vinson 6’8 singel fin wing pin, Haut  6’4 double wing squash thruster

80’s - Michael Baron 6’6 squash thruster, Steve Colletta 7’4 squash thruster

90’s - Doug Schoedal 7’3 RP thruster

All magic boards at the time…still have my single favorite board ever, a 94’ 8’0 Schoedal semi glassed by Vince Broglio that has been through the wars…Sunset Beach to Cloudbreak to West OZ with endless sessions in winter surf from SF OB to Santa Cruz…dented, bruised, never creased…my son will paddle my ashs out on this board when the time comes

Icc, Iike that board a lot.too.  I think your son would easily be able to paddle your ashes out.

McD, “…like old friends…”. Good turn of phrase.

OldSkull, a few pictures attached of a more modern version of those old glass on keels. Greg Loehr said one of his factory employees built them.  I don’t know who dreamed them up.  Mike Daniel at Coil made these for me as a special favor (since I am committed to never building fins again.). He asked me at the time not to show them or discuss them here.  But time as has passed. The coast is clear.

all the best, boys.

Look like wing slats.