Last 2020 Project Board For Me

My last project for 2020 is a mixed bag of all of the things I wanted to play around with.  Just about everything on this project was repurposed.  Building this made me feel like a kid again when I used to assemble / play with model cars and airplanes.  I would make monster model cars with all my extra parts and broken model cars.     The blank for this board was leftovers from a 14’ fishing surfboard project.  I hotwired the rocker, installed a wood stringer and glued it up.  It was originally going to be a Foil SUP but complications from my knee surgeries hindered this intention.  I decided to make a wide big guy prone handicapped surfboard.  I wanted elements from boards that I liked.  First, I wanted a blunt nosed board, not sure why but I always thought they looked cool.  Next I wanted an Aipa style Sting wing in the board but wanted more of the curved fish tail.  I then wanted a Bonzer influenced bottom with 4+1 set up.  I started to template the board but struggled to get the curves to match.  Luckily by board building partner Rex Kashinoki jumped in a shaped this board using the full rails from the 70’s.  Rex was a team rider for Aipa in the 70’s and sanded and polished many of Ben’s boards.  Rex can shape AIPA stings pretty well.

I purchased three yards of 6 oz. carbon fiber from the discount box from Fiberglass Hawaii.  For deck color I wanted a Kimo Greene style lava foam stain.   The idea was to create and image of a lava flow surrounding KU, (Hawaiian War God).  The carbon fiber rails and bottom represent the black lava fields of Kona.  The flying tiger decals are leftovers from a boat project.

Lots of challenges with this board being my first carbon bottom and rails.  I had issues dialing in the vacuum bag and sanded though some of the carbon.  I also had issues installing the fin boxes on the carbon fiber. It’s not the prettiest but I got it to work.

For the fins, I found all of them in my box of left over fins from other projects.  I am not even sure if they will be functional but they look pretty cool and I can use them.  This board is 7’10” x 25” x 3 ¾” and my intention is to prone surf it until I can pop up again.  For me this was a frustrating but fun project and a challenging learning experience. Me, a 65 year old feeling like a kid building monster model cars all over again.

Quite an inspireing project, as well as well executed.      Hope you’ll be popping up soon.