Longboard Design Critique - intermediate logger

Hello, all. 

Just joined, but been reading a lot of older posts. I was wondering if you could help critique this longboard design. I’m mostly worried about getting the foil right. 

Board is sort of an “intermediate logger”, with soft rails, intended to ride varied conditions, but mostly beach breaks, more on the steep/hollow/fast side of things, up to head high. Am not much of a noserider, more down the line, having fun. 

Context: 38M, 5’9", 175lb, normally ride 9’0"x23"x3" 2+1 with added nose lift, on a steep beach break. Use a traditional 9’6" pig for the softer breaks and smaller days. I usually design the boards with a great shaper, that’s a longtime childhood friend, but more of a shortboard shaper (great HP longs). 

Be brutal! Thanks!

I would reduce the width from 23’’ to 22’'.

Reason, easier to carry.

I’m 5’10’’ and found it difficult  to get my arm around a board 23’’ wide and get a good grip of the rail, even when carrying the board, fins to the outside

So you are OK with “Reverse Rocker”?

ding ding ding good catch

is it reversed or just a flipped image?

Thanks for the responses, much appreciated!

Indeed, the reverse rocker is intentional. Even though I don’t want to focus on noseriding, I’m thinking in terms of an all-rounder, perhaps leaning on the traditional side.

I use a 9’6" pig that has reverse rocker and it works fine in varied conditions (so long as not tooooo hollow), works even better once I pearl a couple of times and remember to adjust paddling position :wink:

Regular board varies (snap a lot of boards in my local hollow beach break) is 9’0-9’2", 2+1, modern rails, moderate rocker, pulled in tail and nose. 

I was hoping this board would fit somewhere in between the pig and the daily, for waist to head high, when surf is good and waves are not too hollow and fast.

And great point about carrying the board, I’ve been using 22-1/2 to 23 boards for a while, and they are not easy to carry at all!

appears as pig rocker on what is essentially a high performance shape…so IMHO 3.5" tail more standard for a HP which like to be turned off the tail, and the increased tail rocker (light double concaves will straighten out water flow through that rocker) not only makes for an easier turning board, when jumping up and weighting that back foot it also lifts the nose on the drop…and 3 1/2" would make sense for the nose as well…a smooth continous rocker works really well with a HPLB

Thanks, lcc. Great points. 

This board is intended as a very slight variation on my regulars, which would be more convention HPLB.

Main changes:

• single fin only (instead of 2+1)
  • reverse rocker (instead of 4 to 4.5" nose, 3 to 3.5" tail)
  • a little less rocker overall
  • soft rails (instead of hard edge to 24" from tail)
  • a little longer (instead of 9'0" or 8'11")
  • wider nose (instead of pulled in to 16.25 to 16.5")

The wide nose will give you trouble on take off and steep tubes.  You don’t have to pull it in much, but a wee bit would help both applicantions.   24" forward for a hardened edge is pretty far forward.  If you were to place sidebites on a board like that, they would normally be 16 1/2"-- 17" forward of the tail.  That is an Hawaiian placement used in steeper waves…  On a board like this with no sidebites,  I would harden the tail up to about 20" max.   It doesn’t have to be super hard.  Put a hard edge on it and then lightly soften that edge with screen.

Thank you for the thoughtful response, McDing. Great stuff. 

Onwards to find a plug and get it shaped! Thanks!