Installing Side Bites on a Single Fin

Good afternoon surfers,

If side bites are needed on a single fin 6’8", do you recommend going for it or leaving it alone and investing in a different board that has side bites?

• Brian

What are the widths and what’s the nose rocker like?  

As a matter of fact, tell us a bit more about your situation, too.  What’s your stature like, what’s your experience level?  What other boards have you owned and what are your goals in surfing - which direction are you trying to eventually go?  

The reason I ask is because someone who is transitioning away from longboards might need something different than someone who is transitioning into longboarding.  

Go for it.      I did my first side bites, on a single, in Aug/Sept  1964.        You will learn from the exercise, at the very least.

If you feel that you need them;  put them in.  Can be easily done using the FCS Plugs(still available) or Fusions. Both are an easy “post glass” install.   If you don’t like the way it rides, you can always take them out and go back to the old single fin.  You could also make a Thruster out of that board by using the Longboard adapter that FCS makes for the Center box. Although your center box looks to far forward for that.   The critical part of the deal will be placement.   I can’t give you any recommendation for that with out knowing the distance from tail to the back of your box.  Side bites are usually pulled back into the front portion of the box.  Looks like you are at 5–5 1/2" from the tail.  That would put the side bites at 16 or 16 1/2".  But no matter.  Always good to eyeball it to see if it has proper perspective.   Lowel

Agreed that FCS plugs are an easy install.  For a more aft center fin position, look for a standard fiberfglass center fin in 4"-5" (or bigger if going for a 2+1) range with the screw tab forward.  Carefully drive the pivot pin out with a punch of some sort, cutaway the rear portion of insert tab, redrill the tab and refit the pivot pin.  You can cut away a pretty good chunk of the insert tab and have the center fin hanging over the back of the box.  Every little bit helps sometimes.

I appreciate the feedback and questions,

What’s your stature like? 5’10" 145 lbs.

What’s your experience level? Been surfing for about 15 years now in NJ. Plenty of toobs and cheater fives; similar to Alex Knost’s approach… Lot of energy, not a lot happening beyond the lip, all over the board, 5 hour sessions when it’s fun, catching a ton of waves on all types of days, but primarily going for a toob, to the nose, with occasional turns. (Age 29)

What other boards have you owned? 6’1", 6’10", 9’0", 11’0"… Probably most in my element on the 9’0". Even when it’s throwing barrels and most guys are out on short boards, I’ll chance the 9’0" and have a Greenough day.

What’re your goals in surfing? Ride every wave that passes through NY/ NJ. Find my style of carves and turning…

Which direction are you trying to eventually go? All around. But trying to find the right good-day board for a stylin’ front footer like myself. I can make the turns, I just don’t know what “short” board is the one I need  

Thanks again for your time.

Hadn’t ever thought about doing that.  Definitely would get you back further on the tailblock.  Good idea John.  I can’t remember who the manufacturer was, but I have bought center fins with the pin in the back before.