Mix a little QCell into Sanding Resin to fill in Pressure dings on 70's classic?

Hi, My friend had this old board on his porch with a nice shape. Late 70’s Twin Fin here in Hawaii. Christian Shaper named Michael Junod @ 5’10" but good volume and thinish tail. I have to do a few major repairs, make a new nose and tail section, delam. My intention is to topcoat with an Opaque White Pigment coat or two. I thought to add some Q-Cell to this coating to use it as a fairing and concealing coat. I want to fair out the Pressure dings, and conceal the underlaying board. Sand flush. Then topcoat with a Purple Resin Tint with some Goldflake like is used in Fire Trucks mixed into the Purple resin. Maybe clearcoat this. 

Can I use QCell mixed with sanding resin to make a fairing coat and flush out Pressure dings? 

Should I be doing all of this with Epoxy or Polyester? 

Thanks for any insight. 

sounds like it would end up real heavy. MIchel Junod is pretty legendary.

your plans are time consuming, i would consider re-glassing it insted.

it will come out much nicer. and it shouldnt take any longer than what you plan.

pull the glass off, fix foam and glass.

Oldskull is most likely right.  I can’t say what I would do to it without any pics.  I wouldn’t hide and cover up the fact that Michel shaped my board…  I don’t know what it is that so many new Sways members want to take a board shaped by so many great shapers (whose ranks are thinning) and cover it up with an ugly pigment job, making the board twice as heavy.  Fix the dings to watertight and ride it.  Michel is a Santa Cruz shaper and surfer.  Has probably more cover shots on Longboard Mag planted on the nose at Bob Barbours favorite photo spot “Monterey Bay” than anybody.   Lowel

Thanks for the Response. I’ll try to outline the dove and then make that a Yellow contrast like a Lightning Bolt. This is a Father Daughter project. She’s 4 and wants the board Purple with Gold Flakes. Right now, the board is pretty light. Over the years whoever owned this board slopped on a bunch of heavy resin, unevenly along the deck and bottom to fix a few dings, and made a new nose and one side of a swallowtail from solid resin, each of which was like a Hockey puck when I cut them off. I gave the board good Flat sanding down to the grid of the cloth in most places (not tooo much), rebuilt the nose and tail from a light qcell resin mix and cut off some glass around a Delam and used a light Q-cell resin mix to flush. I’ll glass over the nose, tail and delam, but the board is still pretty light. I think I’m reading here, that having an Opaque White Fairing Coat, sanded flush, topped by a Purple Resin Tint, sanded flush, topped by a clearcoat, will add up in too much weight. But… the daughter wants sparkles… I make Spearguns Professionally, and my experience is that only a Transparant Tint will allow for the sparkles… I don’t think I want to go down the road of stripping and reglassing the board. But I do understand now that weight is the big concern here. My daughter is only 40#, so it won’t seem doggy to her, but I’ll want to ride this gem sometimes too to get some of the insiders at a local pointbreak. Thanks

som pics

Not finished with the Nose and Tail Q-Cell rehape. I’ll make them nice.

such a cool board, it would be a shame to cover it.

should be fairly easy to find another wrecked or fixable board to use.

Michel Junod is a legend in SC.  First time I ever heard of him was in the early 70’s.  Somebody pointed him out to me one morning out one the Pismo Pier.  Believe it or not, he was friends with “Whitey” and used to bring him down the occasional board.

old surfboards like old surfers…every wrinkle and crease well earned, and should be displayed proudly.

Wow, that’s really hideous. This board has had a hard life, and it’s up to you what happens next, of course, but a few suggestions: 

First, q-cell and resin for the nose and to repair what I think of as ‘swallow tail syndrome’ - not a great idea. It’s heavy and it’s brittle, bang it and it will almost certainly crack. Swallowtail repairs I did with that stuff tended to fail fairly quick,I would suggest that you find some small pieces of foam someplace. glue them on, shape with sandpaper and then glass over it. On the swallow, I’d glass it pretty well on both tails, they suffer a lot of damage in use. People just can’t avoid smacking them down on hard surfaces. 

From the looks of it, somebody may have done something like that in the past, I dunno, as I said it’s had a hard life. 

Next, get it waterproof and faired, okay. I tend to avoid the q-cell-resin mix for fairing, it tends toward opaque, but …if you are putting something opaque over it, it doesn’t matter, you could use Bondo and it would be about the same.As for the opaque white with a gold flake purple tint over it…hooboy. You’re gonna be adding a whole lot of weight, which will do the usability of it no good and make it downright dangerous for a little girl to use, kinda like if you were taking a twelve foot old log out. It would be like taking one of the spears in your ( envy envy) Really Nice speargun collection there and replacing it with a piece of half inch rebar - its too heavy and too different to really work. . And whoever shaped it and the original logos and such, by then the board will be so different that you may as well cover them. 

In fact, for the opaque color you want plus purple metalflake over it? Take it to an auto body shop, have them spray paint it, the job will come out better and lighter and maybe cheaper. Or, find something else  that’s a lot better for your little girl;and have that painted the way she wants and just leave this one be up, in the rafters, maybe have a shot at restoring it someday… 

Sorry about that, hope  this is of use

doc…

Thanks for the input. Honestly I never used Resin and Q-Cell before to reshape parts. Always had a chunk of foam around, but this time gave it a try. The mix is pretty light, but I do intend to glass over the Nose and Tail. I’m just winging this with what I have here. There were some pretty deep delam spots. So I cut those out and tried this mix again. So far the board doesn’t feel too heavy. Yeah this board was having a Hard life. It was an outdoor wall ornament for who knows how many years. I figure MJ would be happiest that this board will be surfed again. Literally reclaimed from the Dead. Even if the Yellow Dove and all the Psalms and Crosses get covered up. “May the lamb that was slain recive the reward of his suffering” on the Stringer. About the Spearguns. I mentioned I make Spearguns. There’s a few nice Epoxy covered ones too… I’m good with that stuff. My company is Ulusub Spearfishing Co. The “Ulu” part of it is as it was born in Uluwatu. I lived there on the point for 25 years. Probably surfed with a fair few of you. What I’m taking most out of this conversation is to watch out for the weight. Thanks.

I kept thinking about the weight. So I removed some of the steps… Those Q-Cell patches are Light, but strong and shape nice. I sanded the Delam recesses down to just under grade and covered them and the Nose and Tail fixes with two layers of cloth. I Smoothed over the major Pressure dings with a Q-Cell resin mix too and sanded flush. then I gave the whole board a Scuff Sand with 40Grit and a Flat form. Instead of doing an Opage Coat of White and a Tinted Clearcoat over I just did a coat of Opaque and Tint mixed. I’m going to give a wetsand and flush it out, but the good news for the purists is that while the board is Pink enough for my daughter, the topcoat is transparent enough to see the Logos (and all the scars underneath). Still need to finish sand, but Lil Pink feels light enough to me.  

Lil Pink is one step closer to dipping into some warm blue. Belle is getting excited. I make Floating Wetsuits for kids. I invented them @ 20 years ago so I could take my son out at Ulus when he was real little. Great product for Surf Kids. 

Ready for Wax. Was able to get some Gold Sparkle in on the Fins. I could have made this board look perfect, but that would have added just enough weight that it would have been a dog. But with just one coat and a sanded finish this thing feels real nice volume to weight, and balanced. Have a good North Swell in a few days.

Well, Lil Pink got a trial by Fire last week at the Peak of that Big Swell that hit Hawaii. Worked out nice, good float but still can duckdive. My friend was impressed by the save and said ‘hey, I think there’s two old boards somewhere up in the rafters which have been there for a long time. You can have them if you want them.’ They got these funny The Flash type logos on them. Bit more volume to work with. Pretty excited. Some background. I got plenty of Spearguns. But the only Surfboard I had here in Hawaii til now was two Wavestorms which I got for the kids. Pretty excited. Big ol Swell headed our way too.