First build review: 5'6" mini simmons.

Hello,

I had previously posted that my first build was going to be a midlength, but am having some problems getting a blank of that length, and have also wanted to build a mini simmons, so am going to start there instead. Again I am middle age, intermediate surfer, and surf beach breaks here in florida. 175lb (80kg)  Attached is my outline, does that look ok? 

Note I haven’t filled in the rails yet on the drawing. Anyone have any specific rail templates I should use for a mini simmons? Or can I just use something like boxy railbands like: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0689/1441/files/Surfboard-rail-band-dimensions-boxy-full-fish-egg-rail-shape_0902590e-2de1-4e04-8909-125e876bff0e_grande.jpg?v=1542038723 

Thanks in advance.

This is what a 5-1 mini-simm actually looks like.   Part of the design is maintaining the width x length ratio, so that as you go longer you also go wider. They’re in excess of 22" at the 5-1 length.    At your weight you could probably go 5-4 without a problem, and reducing the size can be helpful because part of surfing this shape involves manhandling and overpowering the extreme widths in the tail.  Those guys surf those boards with their rear foot on the very back of their tail block and they really push those tails around.   

The other aspect in the original design is that the template retains some curve all the way through. They retain some nose rocker and they foil the nose by scooping some of the deck out .   

In my opinion this is a fairly tough design to be attempting for a 1st shape because there’s a lot going on with the bottom countours and the deck/rail profiles.