Shaping Endurance

Hey all,

Bit of a different type of question here, and more aimed at some of the older guys, but how do you stay in shape to shape all day? I’m 21 and I started ghost CNC finishing for a guy in town around 6 months ago. I’m doing around 15 boards a week and I usually like to split it up into 2 or 3 days. 10 boards in a day seems to be my maximum before I’m ready to throw in the towel. Another shaper, who’s around 65 does 10 a day, 4-6 days a week- he makes me feel like a wimp! I’m also hand shaping my own stuff (1-2 boards a week) and I surf probably 2-5 times a week, depending on my college schedule and the waves. Does anyone have any tips on how to keep myself from not being perpetually sore? Thanks!

Consider it an advantage that you are scrubbing.  That will delay the onslaught of Sholulder Bercitus(sp) by several years.  I prefer to do high numbers per day with more rest time in between.  For sore joints, shoulders,  hips,arms;  rest in between is what keeps the body going.

You probably are a wimp : ) , Phil Becker has hand shaped about 150 000 surfboards

Some quick math.

55 years (approx) X 365 days = 20,075

150,000  divided by 20,075 would be at least 7 boards a day, every day, for 55 years.

Peak of the season at Hansen, I was shaping 8 to 10 boards daily, six days a week on some occasions.

Sammy , how old is Becker , how long has he been shaping , how many boards a day , it was reported in several surfing mags that he had shaped about 130, 000- boards in the mid 2000 , and I think he only quit last year , maybe the true # is not known but I watched Phil shape me a board and from start to finish was less than an hour , nice guy great board .

Hi drakeo. My question is how do you manage to get your college work done with all that board building? My advice is to focus on school now. Get good grades. etc. Mike

Study on the young guy, the 65-year-old. Well, I can call him young.  Dammit.

It’s not really about being in shape. Quite different, in fact.

The saying goes use makes master or if you prefer, read Malcom Gladwell’s Outliers and the 10,000 hour rule- you put in enough time and practice (10,000 hours)  at something, you generally get really, really good at it. 

For instance, my niece’s husband Bob is a barber, has his own barber shop. And before the virus, he had a guy called John working with him part time, guy who had been a barber for probably fifty years and was sort of retired, just keeping his hand in. Bob, he has maybe four-five years in since being school trained. And you watch the two at work, one chair beside the other. And John is a pleasure to watch, economic motion, smooth, elegant even. No wasted motions, no wasted steps, he gets in there and does the job quickly and efficiently. You know you’re seeing somebody who has mastered his craft such that even I see it. 

You also notice that he has the chair just so, wears shoes that are kind to his feet and his back, his tools are absolutely sharp and very conveniently spotted where he just reaches and there they are. 

One of my gigs, growing shellfish: you see guys with toasted backs, shoulders gone ( Oh wait, that’s me) and more - their gear isn’t tuned, the working area isn’t set up right, they move wrong. Wasted motion, working too hard, it wears you down.  I actually help teach a course on it. Summary, sort of: if you’re doing something once, hand carve it with oyster shells and flint, make it a work of art, I don’t care. Doing it ten times, have a plan, think about the process. Hundreds or thousands of times? You need a well thought out factory of sorts, even if it’s a one-man shop, efficiency matters. And if you’re doing something thousands or tens of thousands of times, like handling individual shellfish,tiny fractions of seconds count. Surprising how that affects your production in a working day.

Now, you may be trying to work with less than optimal tools, an imperfect setup and (for instance) no anti-fatigue mats on the floor and wearing Vans or equivalent ticket-to-back-pain shoes. Table/stand height, fine tune it. If it’s a little too low, you are bending your back just a little and dozens of times every board. And I’m talking a half inch. More, far worse. A half inch too high, you’re working your arms and shoulders harder than they have to, resulting in pain. If you’re reaching across too far, same thing plus shoulder strain, working your elbows more than you need to and more. See where this is going? End of the day, it hurts.

Okay, I mentioned toasted back, shoulders too, and mentioned that group included me? Don’t be me. Learn now. I realise that at 21, that may seem silly. Thing is, you are in pretty much the best shape you’re ever gonna be in. What hurts now, well, not only is it going to hurt more to do the same thing when you’re older but damage, wear and tear now adds up. It’s downhill from here, and not a straight line on the graph. Oh no. The line takes a dive. Same goes for safety, any horrible crap you inhale, for instance, you don’t want the long term effects. COPD sucks. 

hope that’s of use

doc…

To put it in a nutshell; Work Smarter, Not Harder. 

There are still guys out there who can do big daily numbers when it comes to scrubbing CNC Pre-shapes.  But guys like Phil Becker who could take a raw blank, template and shape to finish with all the little bells and whistles are dying off or retiring to Kauai.  Even handshapers who are still active very often use a “ghost shaper” to rough in the blank.  If I were in my 80’s and still at it I would too.

I’m not sure if it’s still true but last I heard Bob “Ole” Olson was still mowin’ foam…

Hell he was old when I bought a 9’6 and a 10 “Bumble Bee” from him in the mid 2000’s.  It’s no secret that Potts roughs them.

Doc,

Thank you for the wonderful story about the barbers! Since I built my bay that I’m currently using, I’ve spent a lot of time and thought trying to optimize it as best as possible, and it’s now by far my favorite place to shape andI can’t imagine building another bay without the same ammenities. I’ve dialed in the dust collector system, 5/8" thick EVA floor matting covering the entire floor, got my hands on some rainbow sandals midsole which makes for the perfect rack padding when double stacked (blank doesn’t slide around, thin enough to easily keep the blank level or moving vertically while working, but also thick enough to avoid any dents), lights dialed, enough space to keep all my tools uncluttered, etc. I can go seemingly all day in there, but that isn’t the case outside of my own bay. I also started wearing real shoes which seems to help. Also never not wearing a respirator and ear protection. I’d already developed some mild ringing in my ears from loud music and firecrackers and other teenage/college activities so I’m determined to not let it get any worse.

~Drake

Maybe he started counting from his first shaped board , when he was 3 yrs old ?

These days , a hand made surffboard from tradesman surfboard builders is an expensive item…and so they should be …they are superior to any machine boards.

Just a thought - 

As I recall, there were a lot of blanks in the Clark catalog with Becker on the designation/model. And a close-tolerance blank, or series of blanks, right out of the factory, I’d imagine that would be a time saver. Might even let him have a day off now and then.

I sold Beckers for  few years. I liked selling them. What I liked most? When let’s say Clyde comes in and says " I tried Charlie’s 7’8" and I want one just like it but 7’6" ", it would be. Wonderfully consistent. No shaper’s mistakes I had to unload somehow, and bear in mind I was getting what they weren’t keeping for their own 2 or 3 or however many shops.

Real easy to sell that way, something that only the Harold Iggy Webers had in common with them.

doc…

Hi Drake,

Excellent, you’re on the path. 

As they say in the motorcycle training courses, as I’m gonna be taking one fairly soon * ATGATT, All The Gear All The Time. Helmet, a good one, jacket, gloves, boots etc. Because the one time you don’t, that’s the time you’ll need it. 

Shoes - get good ones. The cool skate shoes are absolute crap as far as support and protection goes. Those cost money which in turn would mean less for the pro skater who endorsed them and he needs that money to finance his pharmaceutical hobby, between trips to rehab. As it happens, I know a former pro skater. The guy is a compete dick. He doesn’t deserve your hard earned money. Spend the same money on good shoes instead.

Me, I have had good luck with New Balance shoes and Chippewa boots, that’s me, plus they both come in extra wide. Wish I had been smart thiry years earlier, but back then I was wearing shoes two sizes too big to get the width, looked like something from the circus, just lacking the red nose.

It’s an incremental process. You never stop inching closer to perfect, or at least being a little faster, a little more efficient, a little easier on the body. It gets to be part of the fun.

doc…

• Yeah, getting back on a bike, after 50 years since I was on one seriously. And I wasn’t all that good then. I’ll tke all the help I can get. I may be self-destructive, but I hope I’m not totally crazy.