New skil 100 owner looking for tips on blades

Hello. I just picked up a skil 100 off eBay for 300 dollars being shipped to Oahu. It has this curved blade installed (moon shape I guess) and I’m wondering if the FGH blades are the only ones I can get or if there is another place to get new ones besides the foamez or other shaper sites? Thanks! 

You can usually buy them online via EBay.  I don’t have their info, but try a Google for American Knife.  They have them.  I prefer the HSS steel over the Carbide.  A sharp set of steel blades will last the occasional shaper a lifetime.  They can be sharpened at home using a simple jig that is available thru Casica Tech.  Blades are usually $25–$50 for the pair.  You need the alignment gauge that attaches to the bottom of your planer to get them installed and aligned correctly.  Lowel

Post a photo of the curved blade in the cutter head.  Skil blades are straight in the factory cutter.

Here’s the photo. 

Someone correct me if I’m wrong; Those are the so called “radius” blades used by timber framers to give a rustic “hand hewn” look to timbers and logs.

I couldn’t find the Skil’s but this is the Makita

https://www.timberwolftools.com/radius-blades

Very creative for woodwork but not suitable for shaping.    Buy the correct ones from American National Knife 800-533-7117.  Ask for HSS blades.  PM me if you need instructions for blade adjustment, don’t have the blade alignment jig, or need the original manual. 

Yes, these are for that effect but on a curved-base planer which is rocked into the cut then out. Could possibly be done with a Skil using a dowel (< 1/8") under the base and rolling forward while rocking (using Skil blades ground to a curve).   

Thanks for the tip. You mentioned it might not be the original barrel, and the videos I’ve seen they use nuts to secure the blades not hex head screws. Does this look normal? I can upload more photos once USPS delivers it. 

I’ll check out that knife company, thanks!

Hex head is what you want.

$300 is gonna be $600.  AKA “Buyer Beware”.

You’re absolutely right, my late father had a set he had made for the ‘hand hewn’ look. The arc wasn’t quite as pronounced, but yeah, thats what those are.

Which is kinda amusing, as a properly used broadaxe, broad hatchet, or a carpenter’s or shipwright’s adze, which were actually what they used for hewing beams from logs, well, the marks they leave look nothing like the divots those planer blades would take out… 

it’s a funny old world

doc…