Calling Lemat

Hey Lemat

Been searching Sway’s for some hotwire tools/tips and came across a post that you commented on stating that you only use hotwire for shaping.

Are you able to elaborate on some spacific/favourite tools you have?

Im very keen on the idea of no planing/mess style of shaping.

Some picturs would be nice too

Cheers

The fumes from hot wiring are toxic AF  

Yes, i don’t use electric planer i shape my boards from eps bloc with hot wires. First the classic 2 feet sliding on rocker/foil wood template set to finish rocker and foil target. Then cut outline with an 90° hit wire tool sliding along templates,  then I cut two wide bevel for deck crowning with a two angle hotwire from their I finish with Fred tools surform, surforms and sandpaper on blocs. Key of my process are my sheets number ( calculate where to set my bevel from width/thickness and rail profile) and my rail lines tracing tool. Will take photos when i can… For sure not a fast process but for me a routine that allow me to end with what i want quietly. 

That would be fantastic if you could post some photos. Im more of a visual guy. My thinking is the exact same process as you have described. I like the idea of quiet and less mess. I would think that it would also be easier to get the rails even on both sides when you are working with square edges and flat surfaces as opposed to the emoulded blanks that have the domed decks. I look forward to eyeballing your tools of the trade.

Oh BTW… I will be picking your brain from now on…lol

Cheers

Do not cut PU with the hot wire, nobody wants to breathe burning di-isocyanates.

EPS is fine but do have some fresh air.

Some pics of an EPS board and the hot wire tools I used:

design review big boy longboard pg 2

[[{“fid”:“117077”,“view_mode”:“default”,“fields”:{“format”:“default”,“alignment”:“”,“field_file_image_alt_text[und][0][value]”:false,“field_file_image_title_text[und][0][value]”:false},“type”:“media”,“field_deltas”:{“1”:{“format”:“default”,“alignment”:“”,“field_file_image_alt_text[und][0][value]”:false,“field_file_image_title_text[und][0][value]”:false}},“link_text”:null,“attributes”:{“class”:“media-element file-default”,“data-delta”:“1”}}]]

take some photos of my tools and result:

bigger hot wire is for cut rocker and foil sliding on mdf templates

then i use 90° hot wire sliding around mdf template to cut outline

then i use angle hotwire to cut bevels lengthwise and finish cut with 2sd bevel with hot knife

then i cut 45° bevel with hot knife and clean with 40 grit sandpaper.

From big block to here it take me around 1.5h work with carbon springers inserted top and bottom.

Will take me an other 1h to 1.5 hours to finish shape with surform,sandpaper and screen

Not a fast process but exact shape i want, no noise, little electricity.