Help - glassing gone wrong

Hi all,

oh well - my first attempt at glassing (polyesther) did not go too well. I had not enough resin to saturate the rails and have thus made some additional mix but that one somehow got all glueey and jelly-like super fast which led to the rather pitiful result (see pics). What a shame - the first round was perfect (but the rails which stayed too dry). I have decided to let it dry in this state and not to add more as I was also getting stressed. Any ideas on whether or how that can be fixed? I have my hopes up that I can sand that out…?! any idea on what to do with these unsaturated folds of fibre?

The rice paper logo also didnt saturate enough as you can see. Any hints? Can I add another layer of laminating resin over the entire board after sanding?

Thanks, much appreciated!

As nobody else has chimed in, I guess I will - 

A few things;

Laminating resin as you have there is unlikely to harden enough to sand well. It stays soft so that the coat that goes on after it will bond to it well. If that’s another lamination with laminating resin, great. If the next coat is a hot coat to fill the weave of the lamination, done with sanding resin, also great, and once it has a coat of sanding resin as an air barrier, not only will the hot coat harden enough to sand,the underlying laminations will also harden nicely. But sanding straight laminating resin usually just gives you something ugly and a whole lot of gummed up sandpaper.

When in doubt, use less catalyst, not more. You know why, now. If you have to wait a little longer before the next step, hey, you’re not a factory, take your time, enjoy the process. It’s supposed to be fun. 

When in doubt, part 2- better to make up too big a batch than  too small a batch. Yes, it’s wasteful, you may well wind up squegeeing the excess onto the floor, but running out, yeah, exactly. It’s supposed to be fun and low-stress too.  Your time and anguish are worth something in the whole cost-benefit equation. 

Okay, so what are you going to do with this? Anything you want, but here’s what I would do -

You’re not going to be able to do anything about the rice paper logo without ripping off the cloth over it, that’s gonna be what it is. Logos are overrated anyways. 

With a single edge razor blade held paralell to the surface of the board, carefully plane off the folds and such that are sticking up. Cut it because you can’t really sand it… Get it fairly flat but don’t get into the glass layer underneath. If there’s some little edges sticking up, that’s okay for the moment. 

Then, with sanding resin, do a hotcoat, a nice thick one. Fill the weave, if you have some cloth that’s unsaturated work resin into it with your brush.  Go away for a day or two until it hardens up good and all, come back, sand it smooth. That should get rid of the bumps, pimples, drools and dribbles that the batch that went off too fast gave you. Including the edges of cloth still sticking up. You may need to repeat  the hotcoat and sanding on some spots, that’s okay. Keep at it until it’s right. Then, flip it over and give the other side a hotcoat and do the same. It should be smooth and sanded everywhere when you’re finished. 

Dust it all off well, clean it a bit, no particles, give it a gloss, a polish and bask in the radiance of your skilful recovery. Remember, it’s not what you do when everything goes right, anybody can do that, it’s about how you make it good when things go wrong. 

hope that’s of use

doc…

To many things done wrong to correct cosmetically.  Hot coat and sand.  Ride it.  You used the wrong paper for your logo.  Obviously not rice paper.  You over catalyzed which didn’t give you enough time to wet out and tuck.