Surfboards La Jolla Identification

Having some trouble finding a signature or number on this vintage Mirandon shape… I think its from the late 60’s. Anyone know if there’s a way to tell if Bear or Nick were the shaper? No writing that I can see along the stringer, or near the fin box… but it’s kinda hard to tell with the age and design on the bottom

It looks kinda like the psychodelic Twin Pin that was featured in TSJ, except as a Semi Gun instead. It’s 8’ 2" from my measurements, with a Deep Vee all the way through and downrailer. I can only imagine the waves this would’ve been made for… I’m thinking Blacks when it’s firing.

Also has a Veriset fin I think… but it was glassed in. Bummer.

The previous repairs were really crude… thinking about having it professionaly restored if it has some history to it.

It won’t have a signature because just about no one signed boards when this was made. If it has a Fins Unlimited Vari Set fin it was built in 1969, using the shape as an indicator.

Not sure what you mean about a twin pin?  La Jolla Surfboards did an early swallowtail board called the “Super Board”. That was around 1967.

Sammy’s comments, are spot on.        I surfed on a regular basis, with both Mirandon’s, for years.     Had a front row seat to their development and progression, as surfboard builders.       Both are gone now.

Thanks Sammy. As best I can tell, it has a screw plate at both ends of the fin. Looks like its from a fin mold. Any idea if the Mirandon’s would’ve had any other shapers working with them around that time?

The twin pin reference was from the TSJ link below.

https://www.surfersjournal.com/editorial/the-materials-at-hand

[[{“fid”:“117152”,“view_mode”:“default”,“fields”:{“format”:“default”,“alignment”:“”,“field_file_image_alt_text[und][0][value]”:false,“field_file_image_title_text[und][0][value]”:“IMG_9215-Q2-scaled.jpg”},“type”:“media”,“field_deltas”:{“1”:{“format”:“default”,“alignment”:“”,“field_file_image_alt_text[und][0][value]”:false,“field_file_image_title_text[und][0][value]”:“IMG_9215-Q2-scaled.jpg”}},“link_text”:null,“attributes”:{“title”:“IMG_9215-Q2-scaled.jpg”,“class”:“media-element file-default”,“data-delta”:“1”}}]]

Thanks Bill That must’ve been an awesome experience to see all those changes happening in Surfing during the transition era. Do you know if most of their designs had a displacement hull at that time? I didn’t expect to see that on a semi gun… but maybe it was kinda their default for any type of transition era board.

As far as I know, Barry aka Bear, did all the shaping.    The majority of their board could be described as ‘‘HULLS’’ of one form or another.      So, yes, to your question.

That would be a VariSet, then. By the summer of '69 they were using the same box that is common today.

VariSet ad, 1968

Thanks Fellas! I appreciate the insights