Hi perf longboard rocker

Hi there, 

A customer of mine has asked me to make him a new hi perf longboard with similar rocker as his old Robert August one. So took the measurements and felt in a doubt. I measured 4 5/16" tail and 4 13/32" nose. Seems a bit too much kick to me. Any thought? 

Thanks

Check the Clark Blank Catalog.  It is still online at Foam EZ.  Any longboard blank with an “S”.  Don’t t have it right here in front of me, but I think you will see similar #'s. .

hey, thanks. I didn’t know we could stil get this famous catalog, nice !

I don’t see any longboard rocker with so much kick in the tail. I see more nose, less tail, I suspect wrong balance of the board when I took measurements, I was on my repairs stand, not leveled as it should. Or the board was so old and light that it bended, that’s quite a possibility !

Thanks again, i’ll go with same nose, a bit less tail.

Robert August as of late has only one hi-per board in his line-up.  All his boards are done here in Westminster, CA.  They have been using US Blanks for a long time now.  I know the guys.  That being said, the 9’9"B blank with a natural rocker of 4 7/16N x 4 1/8T is more than likely the starting point.  I haven’t seen Shro’s so I can’t ask him, but that’s my guess.  I have also used that blank in the past and it’s a good one that is close tolerance.  Bruce Jones shaped the plug.  I would go back and check my mid-point and level and re-do the numbers just to see if they are close to the 9’9"B.  Good luck & just my 2c…

HPLB’s from Tim Stamps and Art Coyler have been among my daily drivers for past dozen years, all feature smooth continous rocker with ample tail rocker…4 1/2" to 5" nose, 4 1/2" tail…all with dual concaves to straighten out the water flow through the tail while maintaining the rail rocker for turning.

Have found more tail rocker calls for less nose rocker…when jumping up the back foot pressure on the tail rocker acts as a fulcrum and leverages the nose right up …and with that lower nose rocker the board paddles faster, and goes over the ledge easier without the push plus nose rocker can create.

cheers

Pay attention, this is a well informed observation.

Yes and seems to work same for any size and style of boards except may be for “old school” pointy nose that need some kick, mostly for look.