10'4 Twinzer Longfish based on 9'6 Mabile template

Hi Guys, I collected the photos from another board I made this fall - I think this is board 3. I had a Mabile 9’6 Twinzer longfish that I really loved, and my neighbor set me up with a 10’8 Y blank. I’d wondered how the board would work at my local beachbreak with a bit more rocker, so I went at it with that in mind. 

I stretched the template at the widepoint, and the shape stretched to 10’4 before the arc started to look wrong, so I stopped there. 

I kept the fin cant, toe, and placement from the tail the same as the 9’6, figuring that board was also so long that the placement would work, and being a rookie a twinzer would be challenging enough without messing with it. 

I was really worried about glassing the fins on, so when the cloth stuck to the tacked on fins during mockup, I left it in place and painted the resin on rather than laying wet glass on the fins. I know it was “wrong” but I really didnt trust my ability to get everything placed right if it was already wet.

i went slow on the buttcrack, and tried to really carefully prepare my patches for that area. My first fish was a disaster getting that all clean, so I wanted to go slow and leave myself as little to fix as possible. 

in the end, the board turned out to ride well! I got some photos of my friend getting some excellent rides on it, although he’s one of those surfers who can make any board look good :smiley:

Anyway, thanks for looking!

Beautiful. Your boards are so nice, can’t wait to see more!

Great looking board, timeless, stylish surfing. Beautiful. Mike

Beautiful board! Could you possibly share fin placement numbers??

Great looking board!  You did a nice job on rolling the entry belly.  Boosting the rocker appears to have been a good idea.  Any numbers on that?  I’d be curious to know nose, widepoint, tail and tip-to-tip (swallow tail) dimensions!

Hi guys, thank you for all the comments - I had to get to my 10 points to respond, so I apologize for the delay. I went and measured the fin layout and missed the rocker and template measurement question, so I’ll add that soon as well. My neighbor bought the board from me so I have to run over and get the numbers. I thought I’d written them all down, but I can’t find the folder of dimensions I had to save my life :smiley:

Twinzer Fin Setup Placement: 

Trailers: 

Rear of Fin 12" from tips

Rear of Fin 1.5" from rail

4 degrees cant

1/4" toe

Canards: 

Rear of Canard 1 1/4" off Trailer fin pencil line

Rear of Canard 15 5/8 from tail (1 1/8" overlap with main trailer fin)

1/4" toe (shorter base makes the toe in steeper than the trailer)

6 degrees cant 

These measurements are from my board, modeled off a 9’6" Mabile Twinzer fish with very little rocker, so I assume it’s on the loose side of a Twinzer layout. I figured, making a 10’4, that once we were out to those huge lengths the 9’6 setup was close enough for my purposes. I did sort of err on the side of looser, given the length of the rail on this board, and I tried to let the fiberglass halo stand a little tall on the height side as well, just to get a little more fin in the water without adding more base. 

I’ll get the template measurements next time I can get that board in my garage - I’m building a little woodworker setup in there using all old belt driven 40’s tools so I can make better wood keels and D fins, so once that’s a workshop and not just a pile of junk craigslist metal on my floor, I should be back in business :smiley: