Colored Sanding Resin

Hey all,

So i used pigment with my lam resin (poly) and it turned out lighter than i wanted it to. Can i add more pigment to my sanding resin for hot coat to darken the board, or will it just look weird?

Hey,

You could add color to your hotcoat but remember you’ll have to sand it, most probably go through in some spots and this could look weird. Maybe double hotcoat, first one tinted and the second one clear applied straight away as protection. But you’ll add weight and still could go through. Your could consider resin panels, pinelines or whatever make the board look better to your eye instead.

Better is the ennemy of good. If it’s pretty even not being what you had in mind, leave it.

I would do a hot coat with no color, and sand that. Once sanded, add another coat with pigment and sand that carefully to avoid sand throughs. Maybe thin the second coat a bit to make it flow better and need less sanding? Are you doing a gloss coat as well?

Are you using opaque color or tint? There’s a difference, a big one.

Epoxy resin will allow you to do what you want with color. Same resin through each step of lamination. possibilities only limited by your imagination and ability, can even foam stain color with the stuff.

Umm, for my money ‘look weird’ is the answer. Here’s why:

A lamination, done reasonably well, is a single consistent thickness, governed by how thick the cloth is and how heavily squeegeed (or not) you did it. You get a certain thickness of resin and so a certain consistent color all the way. 

Hotcoat, not so much. You’re filling the weave of the squeegeed cloth and quite often smoothing over little dents and dimples and imperfections in the shaped blank that the cloth followed so nicely. No reflection on you, it happens, nobody is perfect nor is any blank. But the hotcoat thickness varies some, more when it’s sanded smooth. 

Clear, that’s fine. With color, though, unless you get really lucky, it’s inconsistent, blotchy, spotty, changing shade as the thickness varies.Weird. The darker it is, the more pronounced the ‘weird’ is. 

Now, what I call weird you might like, you might not. Personally, if the color is a bit light but otherwise good, I’d live with it. 

Dark colors soak up solar heat and are more likely to delam anyhow. I had one, Navy Blue opaque, it cooked pretty quickly. Lesson learned.

hope that’s of use

doc…

Bad idea and never turns out like you think it should.  This is only done when you want that worn out “blue Jean” look.