Desert storm

Hi my surfing fitness has turned to shit due to drinking too much beer and not surfing or exersizing enough but now im alcohol free and getting back into surfing.

I live near jakes point which is pretty much the only good wwave around here.

I was thinking of getting a desert storm surfboard designed by camel and Webster himself.

im thinking of getting a 6’6 by 20" by 3" which turns out to be around 43 litres.

Do you think this would suit me in my unfit state? i now ride my bike to jakes point and back once a day and seem to be losing weight. i currently weigh 87 kilos and seem to be losing around 0.4 kilos a day.

The board im after is a webster step up desert storm i cant paste the link.

Thanks for any advice.

Don’t know about your skill level but based just on litres and length I feel like that board would work fine for you. I weigh about 105 kilos, am 6’1", out of shape and not a very good surfer and a 6’6 at 43 litres would probably beplenty for me.

good on ya, mate, for putting down the bottle…can’t count the number of friends that should have done the same, and it turned their lives to shit…paddle out, make some grins!

Thanks mate i now hate the taste of alcohol and getting psyched for our winter coming. I used to surf well recently due to health my surfing went to shit.

I am doing right now for a good rider that weight 94Kg a board with about 35 liters. Liters and length measures confuse people due to the important stuff are the curves and foil/rocker interaction so the board would have 43 liters but what about the distribution of that volume?

In my opinion, better go with the less amount of volume for your condition right now. Then after the skills appear again; better to go the less volume that you can handle for your every day board. Volume is good for paddling and sometimes take the wave but if you have surfing skills when you are riding the board will be not so sensitive.

However, if you still need too much volume; the solution is sometimes change the board design (type of board) and have low rails or step rails (in the case of more than 3 1/4 thickness)

and a long etc

6’10" x 23" x 3" TOMO style outline. Why be frustrated? you can always go smaller when the ideal weight and skills becomes a reality. 

make it a 5 fin so you can have some fun playing around wtih fins

Were are you located?

Hey bb30 i already ordered a desert storm. camel charges 60 feet waves on them so im sure mine will suit 6-8ft jakes point where i live

(Kalbarri north west australia) thanks for the input. even if with dieting and more excersize i get to desired weight of 75kg i think i will still use this board

as jakes point is so rippy and a 100 mtre paddle back out against current. even the beginner wave on the inside is extremely rippy. i might take it to g-land too if i like it enough.