Deck lam before bottom lam?

I’m working on my 6th surfboard, a custom board for a friend of mine. I’m painting an intricate design on the deck and want to preserve it the best I can so it doesn’t get messed up when I glass. It’s kinda hard to see in the pic I attached but just zoom in. My first thought was to just do the deck lamination first and the bottom after to fully protect the paint job from getting messed up when I feather the bottom lap in. Has anyone done this? I’m unsure of how doing the deck lam first will effect the rest of the glassing. Also, FCS Fusion boxes are already installed and capped with 6oz. 

I’ve done it without a problem.   The main concern would be for the potential for the blank sagging or twisting, so I wouldn’t do it with a longboard length or a stringerless blank unless it was really short/thick.   

I have seen others comment before to never do it, though.   

dont take this the wrong way. but in the photo i see alot of scars and uneven spots in your deck.

on the glass plan, go for it.

Good to know 

Yea it’s EPS foam so it’s hard to get all the scars and divots away but for the most part it’s smooth. I hate shaping EPS for this reason it’s difficult to get the blank totally smooth for painting/glassing. PU is much smoother and more resistant to scars. I haven’t had a problem with the glassing being uneven tho it might absorb a tiny bit more resin but nothing substantial. 

Go back and read archives.  This friiggin’ topic comes up every two weeks.