Spray paint on a US blank

I’m shaping a board right now and I want to do a deck spray on it. It’s a US blank, polyurethane foam, and I was wondering if anyone knew if it’s safe to use normal spray paint (like krylon or rustoleum) on the blank before glassing it. I’m too broke for an airbrush rig and I don’t want to have to brush on acrylic paint. 

No oil based spray paints. Must be water based like Montana or liqutex 

Which would mean you are also too broke to buy Montana or Liqutex.  Use a flat house paint, brush and roller.  Use a brush along the taped stringer.  Overworking the brush at the taped stringer will result in bleed. Two or three long strokes down the stringer.  You can buy a Sample pint at Home Depot or Lowes for a few $$$.

Harbor Freight;  Adequate cup gun $9.95 on sale $12.95 regularly.  Too broke; Do it clear.

I use Liquitex Basics you can buy for very little money from anyplace that sells art and hobby supplies.  I have sprayed it through a gun but mostly I just thin it and use a foam roller or even a squeegie.  Just make sure you give it a minimum of 24 hours to dry before glassing if not 48.  I’m no artist so don’t judge my painting skills but this paint works.  Check out the instagram account of Mark Richards for some inspiration.

Looking good Mako!

$7.00

https://www.dickblick.com/products/liquitex-professional-spray-paint/

On Maui I knew the artist who did all the original BYB (Backyard Boards) art.  One day we were discussing the abilities of an airbrusher/painter who worked for the busiest glass shop on Maui.  His description of the airbrusher was;  “He can pull a good line”.   If you can pull a good line and throw in a little “Artistic License”;  You can do some nice work. Nice job on both fronts Mako.

Yes Liquitex is good airbrush paint on the cheap.  Just doesn’t go far enough and is UV sensitive.

The only Liqitex paint I’ve ever had an issue with is Flourescent Green.  It turned poo brownish green when it interacted with the resin.  Was so bummed.  It was one of the best shapes I’ve ever done and I did a full board spray of the green with black rails.  Made me sick to see what the green did.

That’s a real shame about the green. I’ve been using acrylic paint thinned w water and I’ve gotten good results this time I’ll just need to get a big ass brush and apply a smooth layer. Customer wants an orange deck with black pinlines and it’s at this time I wish I wasn’t too broke to get an airbrush rig. 

use resin and pigment 

always compatible…