Ansell # 394 Canners..... Let's talk gloves

I’m on my last pair, hoarding a 12 pack since ~2007, and am shopping for either the same, or something better.

But I don’t know what might be better, and am hoping to tap some forum wisdom

Pretty sure the #394s are what were considered best for laminating/finning/Hotcoating with PE resin in the mid/late 90’s.

I am sick of regular nitrile and latex surgical gloves ripping, and their covid inspired  doubled price tags.  They’ve got their time and place, but It’s not here and now, for what I’m doing and plan on doing.

Right now am Using Ospho, a metal/ rust treatment  phorphoric acid product, using scrubbie pads  finger pressure,  and elbow grease. But will be mixing epoxy soon. 

The Ansell Canners are holding up remarkably well to this regular glove shredding task, and the dexterity is good enough, but I am fearing the timing of their impending demise 

AlphaTec® 88-394 (ansell.com)https://www.ansell.com/us/en/products/alphatec-88-394, yes? 

Alternatively, check the Atlas/Showa catalog https://www.showagroup.com/us/sites/default/files/EN%20Catalog%20Nov%202019%20web%20version.pdf 

hope that’s of use

doc…

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-11433/Chemical-Resistant-Gloves/Chemical-Resistant-Latex-Gloves-Unlined

Uline is a good source, both for the ones you used and others

I’m sure both of the recommendations above are good.  I am doing the same thing you are;  working off a dozen yellow and blue neoprene dipped canners gloves.  I rinse them in Acetone and hang them to dry.  I don’t let them set in Acetone.  I just rinse while I have them on, remove and hang to dry.  These are the yellow and blue “Canners”.  Bought them from Uline a couple of years ago.  Reusable and last long.  I powder my hands to get them on and off easily.  I prefer the “Flock lined”, but couldn’t find them when I bought these.  I can’t link it, but try “Oregon Glove” in Salem.  They have the Flock Lined.  I used to buy them at Fiberglass Hawaii and would bet they still sell them.

Model # S-15396 Uline; Neoprene Coated.  $24 per dozen.  Not flock lined.

Thanks. 

The #394 Canners is considered light duty by Ansell. 

I guess regular nitrile and latex surgical gloves would then be considered fragile duty.

Wondering if I should own a pair of medium Duty for future Ospho Scrubbing/ Acetone wiping when there is sharp edges present.

Do the U-line canners neoprene gloves have a rough texture…pretty nimble fingers still.  Think they are more tear resistant from sharp edges, or say sanding with some wet 220 soaked in Ospho?

My last time in an Ace Hardware trying to buy gloves, for painting, a pack of 100 Nitrile disposables was 38$ and Latex was 36$  Pre Pandemic was ~15$

I bought a pair of white Kitchen gloves for about 6$ instead. These are flock lined, which I am not sure how I feel about this feature. Misplaced one of them somehow, and one is stained Pink from ATF.  They seemed fairly durable.

The 394’s#9 fit me perfectly, and slide on easy  and sometimes off easy enough, and are easy to clean either side.  

The Ansell canners 394  are now called Alphatec 88-394, maybe the alphatec was always there on the original packaging, I can’t remember

I see 12 Pairs on Fleabay for 19$.  That’s two click’s for me.  Might have to get them on their way and consider acquiring  a Medium duty pair of gloves for some of the tasks I envision, non surfboard related

Slight texture on the “Canners”.  They say to use them until the blue Neoprene starts to wear off and then discard.

Yeah I like the flock lined.  They go on and off easy and aren’t as cold when you’re rinsing in Acetone.

Kitchen gloves are latex, not good protection for most products we use. For epoxy nitril is best, if no solvent use or at most isopropyl alcohol, thin one’s works. For acetone must use neoprene, thick one’s.