take off that residual glue from deck pad

so a board I made came back with deck pad stuck on…

multiple brands diffrent glue residue some came off withot residue

the other is obiwan knozious dont come loose with acetone or denatured alchahol either

should I try ether,jim beam ,turps? any scientists still alive in the moral colapse of the ‘’ Culture ‘’?

ambrose…

waiting for a sensei…

Scientists have joined the underground…

Science works if you know what glue/adhesive was used.

Would try some other common solvents:

mineral spirits, lighter fluid, paint thinner, turpentine, orange clean/fast orange, isopropyl alcohol, baby oil, white vinegar etc.

After that, the options start getting nastier…

High octane gasoline

oh baby OH BABY!!!

cooking with gas!..GAZOLINK  dr molotovski…

l was wonderink whadI was gonna use that dirty gasson…

veeneega the pilipineo man taught me how   with green mango

thanx man!

…ambrose…

first with the orange goop off easiest on my old hands…

Umm, what stoneburner said. Put a paper towel on top of the persistent stickum and douse it with the solvent, let it work for a bit before attacking the hopefully gooey adhesive with a scrub pad. 

Also, heat might soften it some, say rags dunked in steaming water, see if you can scrape it up with a fingernail after that.

There is a purple industrial degreaser on the market, they use it well diluted for cleaning auto parts. I have used it for cleaning boat bilges with horrible crud in them. It will dissolve just about anything petrochemical this side of cured resin, I think Walmart carries it or something similar, as do auto parts stores or your local garage might give you a little

Worst case, paint remover. Though before I tried that, I think I’d try going at it with a single-edge razor, accept there are gonna be some scratches and polish after.

Jim Beam, or ether - a nice whiskey sour is always welcome, ether if you slice yourself with the razor blade.

And- we’re all waiting for a sensei. 

doc…

To remove those glue I use essence F or eau oxygénée, both French name products. Good dissolvant for glue that don’t eat cured resin. First onecdissolve wax realy well. Second one is multipurpose, used to clean shirts, change hair color, clean swimming pool water, erase wall grafitti, take off glue… 

…if you are not in a hurry, the idea is to soften the glue then the removing is easy; for that you use MEKP and monomere styrene. The trick is to put on top of the glue first the MEKP, let it for while then do the same with the monomere. Repeat with the monomere more than one time. The glue would peel off and the surface is not damaged. Is not a fast method.

I believe Lemat is referring to “hydrogen peroxide.”

happy new year doc

Ah was hoping you would show up 

as I consider your expertise as gospel

as sensei’s go I consider ou the right reverend.

thanx man…

…ambrose…

april 1st is newyears day

in the old calender

before ceasar

wow hydrogen peroxide wow

yeah rings quite true

and accessable

at three plsces

in th house

365 24 7 all night long

again thanks ya’all

woke up to a phone call from my son in santa barbara

then came to the campfire and found your guys input 

thanks for your input,a lot…

now 

I feel like an under achiever

gotta put on work clothes and get at it

before it gets oo hot…

aloha from waipouli

…ambrose …

oh yeah happy new year all

And a happy new year to you too, Ambrose. Hope all’s well with you and yours.And thank you for the kind ( and undeserved) words.

Funny- these days I find myself doing a lot of things remotely, but on Sways, it’s always been like that. Otherwise, I’m the sort to drop by with a jug of oddball boatyard solvent and a strange tool or three and have at it. Just my nature. Love getting my hands dirty, frustrating when I can’t so much as I’d like. 

I wish I could have given you a better steer on exactly what solvents, but there’s no good information I could look up on just what sort of stickum they use on Brand A pads, or Brand B, or… so I had to go a bit generic, what I’ve used on various stuck-on things over the years. Truly, on a real smooth surface like a surboard deck, if the stuff isn’t rock hard ( if somebody used an epoxy to restick one, say) I have found that the razor blade is about the best, any crumbs that are left come off with a scrub pad.

But, and on another hand- while we’re all waiting for a sensei, we need to learn some on our own, hopefully that’ll let us know when the real sensei shows up.  She’ll probably be on a motorcycle… just to perplex us, in a Zen kind of way.

doc…

The best product that I have found for this is Goo gone 

if you just spray some on and give it over night to set then the next day you should be able to scrape off the old adhesive like butter 

hope this helps 

so I made it to the autoparts store and asked my inside man

‘‘Purple stuff?’’ he walked me to the shelf and he said

‘‘these two come out purple’’ so I asked ‘‘whats cheeper’’

{when I talk it is usually mis-spelled for fun,}

took it home and read te dear recktions…

and then did a square rinsed it off ,

then I went home to print fish fabric for the day.

I just went up to check it after it dried scared of 

the directions hands and eyes comments

and my second trip rubba gloves didnt bolster my confidence…

seemed babbys arm smoothe and I bought a fifty box o’ blades 

first restock in sometime…

thankx again… 

aloha from waipouli…

…ambrose…

wasnt that motorcycle lady in that steve martin movie

the autobiography of us all inventors of the eyeglass holder?

lemat said hydrogen  peroxide,

I had a big bottle next to the washing machine

blood stains  come out quick with hydrogen peroxide

it took off one kind of residue glue

but not the other so I went to get some purple stuff like doc recomended

to try that too… no mater what it is a tedious job…

thankz mano!

…ambrose…

aloha from waipouli…

the stuff I bought is purple power

did a patch saturday  just squirted some on to soak while I

came back to the house to check for any other input before soiling my new 

toxin rated gloves… now soaking for about ten minutes

I’m onward to the fray… all I need is my apron…

…ambrose…

I have had luck with WD40.  Doesn’t remove it but it turns it into a slime that you can scrape off with a razor blade on edge.

Excellent.That’s the stuff I was trying to recall. And the nasty-nasty rated gloves are also the right thing, lest you have issues later on, like being unable to remember names.

Keep me posted, will you? 

doc…

When it comes to scraping adhesives off surfboards (and other stuff you don’t want to cut into ) I use these plastic blades. Sharp enough to do the work but not sharp enough to cut into the surface.

Mako’s tip’s a good one. I also use WD40.  

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/home/home-care/scrapers/53612-double-edged-plastic-razor-blades