Surfboard Width

Hi, I have a question about the surfboard width for small wave performance boards. 

My normal shortboard is a general high performance board with a late 90s - early 2000s outline. It’s 6’0 x 18 x 2 1/8 with aggressive nose and tail rocker and a slight single to double concave. I’m 5’10 and 60kg/132 pounds and this board has been going great for me in powerful, hollow waves in anything head high or above. It also rips in non barreling point breaks as long as it has got a fair bit of power to it. I’m 16 so I’m a part of the new school generation of surfing but just love the power through the surfing done in the late 90s to early 2000s. I couldn’t care less about the new school manoeuvres such as the air rotations and the fin releases but I like the rail surfing done back in those times. 

im going to be making a board soon for my local waves (Perth, Western Australia) which are small, weak, hollow beach breaks with some flat mushy sections at the end. I had a short and wide board more like what most people are riding now in average surf but it just didn’t do it for me. The board had no hold in the hollow sections and was super slidey on the open faces. It just wasn’t meant for my style of surfing

What my question is, is that would a board with groveller type features such as lower rocker, slightly wider tail, and thicker profile, still work in small waves if it had a straight and narrow outline. I was thinking a 5’10 x 18 x 2 1/4. The board will have fairly similar features to the Channel Islands OF flyer which is built for small waves but still works in the tube. Just want your opinions on how this board would work in these conditions.

thanks.

It can work. If you ask me to shape you this board I would take this board you like, shortened 2 inch, increase both width and thickness around 1/4 inch, reduce nose rocker increase concaves. So you keep feeling you like but at lower speed.