Firewire LFT stringer/springer

Hi all, 

New member, have searched the site to see if anything like this has come up, nothing found.

I’m after thoughts on a strange issue a couple of Firewire LFT boards are showing, they are both showing ridged 2" apart only along the black foam stringer shown in the photos attached, my first though was pressure dings but I cannot find anything in the car or around my board racks that would do this, then on closer inspection the lines are level with the surrounding deck and between them is raised but not feeling 100% like a delam.

These are running from 12" from the nose to just in front of the fins, I’m perplexed, Firewire have said it is a storage issue, I’m not really buying that as none of my other boards( all stored in bags withing the same racking system) have any signs of this.

Any thoughts welcome ( including don’t buy Firewires!) And or has anyone else noticed it on their LFT boards?

Photo 1; 1.5 year old Cymatic

Photo 2; 11 month old FRK

Does it only occur on the bottom of the board? If so,  it could be “pressure dings” from being laid down on a ridged surface for an extended period like sideways in a pickup or a slat bench or table. Just a stab in the dark here.

Thanks for the reply Tom,

I considered pressure dings, my only issue with that thinking is that it is only the centre of the bottom of the board, nothing seen or felt on the rails, where the ridges are is around 1/3" concave clearance to the rails, with that in mind what ever cause pressure dings would have to be 1" thick, roughly 22" inches long and the exact rockerline of the board. The shop I got it from has the board at present otherwise I’d snap a photo.

Appreciate the reply, it has me baffled other than the composite stringer reacting to something I’m at a loss. It’s not been exposed to extreme temps (I’m in the UK, more a damp issue here!) Comes off the racks in its bag, goes in the car then out of the bag to surf, then the reverse home.

Well i’don’t know. Composit stringer should be HD pvc foam and black line carbon but with firewire who really know… If there are that no way you make this except with a specific hot tool… Is it soft at thumb test in and around the dent? 

Lemat,

Not soft to touch plus they don’t feel like dents feels more like the gap between the dents is slightly raised creating the corrugated feel.

My guess is that they put foam underneath that is made up out of parts. The perfect symmetry of the corrugations has nothing to do with abuse. I mean, if i abuse something its defo not symmetrical and nice looking. 

I bet if you sand the carbon away you will find the foam is not 1 piece. Or… maybe the foam has holes in it, like structural as in wooden boards and metal in bridges]  to remove dead weight and flex things up a bit as vertical foam is stiff and does not bend well. Then with ultra stiff carbon on top, and lots of flexing it will start to bend / corrugate at the weakest point. Which is the border of the full on foam deck to bottom meeting a hole.

Yes, look for a broken firewire board the same production date and rip it open!!

Aren’t US people into sueing? Get an engineer to figure it out and sue them. Get all customers new boards. Kelly can pay for it.