Overly narrow surfboards

Hi, I’m making a board for overhead powerful hollow waves or fast powerful point breaks with the outline of a late 90s - early 2000s board. Im trying to achieve a board with great hold, control and drive made for carve and rail type surfing rather a board for the new school airs and fin release manoeuvres. At the moment I’m riding a 6,0 x 18 1/2 x 2 3/16 which has been going good but I need something with a little less volume overall but especially a bit narrower. I’m 5’10 and 60kg/132 pounds and 16 years old so fitness and paddling isn’t a problem. A lot of the boards from that era don’t have the width on the boards so I don’t exactly know how narrow the boards were. I was thinking of a 6’0 x 17 1/2 x 2 1/8 with aggressive nose and tail rocker and a slight single to double concave.

my question is that how would a board of this description work in overhead hollow, powerful surf, and is 17 1/2 too narrow on a 6’0 for a 16 year old 5’10 guy weighing 60kg/132 pounds

thanks

There is no need to go narrower than 18".  18 1/2" or 19" were common for 90’s and early 2000’s.    You should consider the benefits of more length and single concave.  You should be looking for the ability to get in over the ledge and down the line speed.