Zap glue for snackles (rail and stringer)

After digging through the archives i think I’ve settled on fixing the several rail snackles and possibly the stringer cracks with zap glue. As I sand the rails, if glass is exposed, I’ll skip the glue and just add a layer of 4oz. For the smaller cracks though, is this the order of operations:

• sand with some 60 grit, just the snackle and small surrounding area

• stick the board in the sun for a few minutes to let it warm up a tad, move back to somewhere cool and apply the thin zap glue into the cracks. 

• let it dry? (I know with styrene you don’t, haven’t heard that for glue though)

-sand excess, apply sanding resin, sand some more. Done.

Should I be using a layer of lam resin and then sanding resin or is skipping lam resin appropriate here?

For the stringer, is it the same process? Or should I be adding glass along the length of the stringer where these showed up? I’m trying to keep this pretty minimally invasive so hopefully not, but I can be persuaded.

Thanks, 3bet

Or should I even be using glue at all? I could just sand, lam resin, sanding resin and be done if the glue doesn’t do anything other than help aesthetically.

Hate to sound like an “old school” type;  but it really is not that hard to just go thru the process and do the traditional 4 oz. repair.  It will be watertight and 4 oz is easy to do.

True, maybe I will.  A fiberglass Hawaii video was what first prompted me to think that I didn’t need to for  certain cracks.

As a good rule of thumb, if you see the weave of the cloth where it got crunched then gentle hand sanding followed by light glassing is probably a good idea. Seeing that means the glass/resin is compromised all the way to the foam.

Sand away the gloss and most of the hotcoat so you can then get resin into that weave. Makes for a better looking repair, nearly invisible if you do it right.

You can thin the laminating resin a little so it penetrates better, I like to use a throwaway (chip) brush to work it into the cloth and cracks/crunches and such. If you have a fine comb you’re not too fond of, use that on the brush to get any loose bristles out. Discovering one in your glass job usually doesn’t happen until it’s too late to get it out of the resin. Sometimes it makes sense to me to shorten the bristles (scissors) to really push the resin in.

hope that’s of use

doc…

That’s a resin tint glass job.   I would never experiment with a new-to-me repair technique on a resin tint. Respect the shaper, the glasser and the polisher.   A resin tint is always worth the effort it takes to repair them properly.      

Thanks for the input Doc and Gdaddy. Much appreciated as always.

For cracks that don’t seem to reach the glass (like those on the stringer), what’s your preferred method if light sanding, superglue, and hotcoat is not the way to go? Seems like sanding all the way to the glass to add a layer of 4oz is overkill, no?

No disrespect intended Gdaddy, unfortunately almost all repairs are new to me at this point though.

Most of the time you don’t have to sand all the way to the glass.   But sometimes a little extra sanding may get rid of the crack visually.  Otherwise the sanding is necessary to get new resin of the repair to bond properly to old.

Okay, a few things- 

What’s been said already is all correct. That’s the thing, a lot of how much to sand, what methods and materials to use for a given repair, it all comes with the experience you haven’t got yet. Moreover, there’s different ways to tackle a given repair, depending on what materials you have and are comfortable with, likewise your tools and your experience with them.

For instance, I’m prone to using a 7" sander/grinder in a lot of situations - you shouldn’t unless you spent twenty years doing boat work. You’d leave a trail of destruction. Go with the light touch instead.

But what I’m gonna touch on is what these dings come from and what to do about them after you finish fixing what you have now.

First off, the rails; what I call garage dings. You get those when the board hits something, gets dropped, smacked into a doorway, whatever. You get a very, very few from collisions in the water. The latter are what they are, but getting yourself a half decent padded board bag will prevent the vast majority of the others.The bag also protects against UV damage and more, really extends the life of the board.

Then you have the stuff like those depressions along the stringer. Heel dents. It’s a tradeoff between how heavy you glass the deck, how light you want the board and how hard you stomp to turn the thing. Too late to add a deck patch, but do get a deck pad. The heel dents have a function, they tell you right where to put said pad.

In the Second World War, in England they did a study of where airplanes returning from combat missions  had been hit, be it by flak (anti-aircraft cannon) or the guns and such from enemy aircraft. They looked at where they had been hit most and reccommended that these places on the aircraft be armored. 

But somebody else, I’ve heard it was a high-ranking general, I’va also heard it was an early operations research guy, somebody said “No, put the armor everyplace else. You forget, these are the planes that made it back”

hope that’s of use

doc…

What I’m discovering is that there are almost no hard and fast rules for repairs! Thanks again for the advice though, it’s helpful and all starting to add up. At this point the only tools I’m using are a dremel and my hands. Regarding all the damage on this board (delams, snackles, ugly old holes from prior resin “Botox” injections, dings), I bought it for cheap understanding it’d be a learning process to get it ready for the water. My other boards are much better taken care of, bags and all. I promise.

For the record, I wasn’t accusing you of anything.   And we widely recognize that everyone has to start from somewhere so that’s not an issue here in the forum, either.   I weep upon reflecting on the repairs I did when I first started out with board repairs and I still doubt I could do justice to your rail dings the way the pros in this thread can do.   

But that’s okay because I’m still trying and that’s the thing.    

Totally understand! And yeah, the know how on this site is seemingly endless.