Cork & high density foam source - Queensland

Does anyone know  a source for cork for a deck and possibly some high density foam?

I’m in Brisbane but either Gold Coast (where the board will be shaped) or the Snshone Coast are options.  About 55" is required.

Thanks

Bob

Hi Bob,

You might want to try these guys: ATL Composites . They sell Divinycell, which is probably the high-density foam core of choice. 

Cork- well, yeah, these guys might be worth a visit: Carpet Capers . Their standard 6mm cork sheet/roll is 1.22m wide, but who knows what they might have for scrap or remnants, hence my suggestion that you visit. 

Hope you’re well and hope that’s of use

doc…

Gday Doc,

Many thanks. ATL composites was an option I came across early this morning, so it seems a good option.  The cork lead looks very promising.  6mmm for a deck? They look like they do amrine supply, which is a plus.

I’m off to a neurologist for a follow-up tomorrow so I might have a better idea then.  Otherwise things are rolling along. I hope you are doing ok. It was early days last time we were in contact.

Bob

Hi Bob,

Yeah, those should work out  As a thought, rather than cork for a deck, I might think about a thin layer of that foam, denser than the core stuff? For looks, follow that with, perhaps, a wood veneer? Marquetry even? That could be fun. 

Doing well, I think. Cardiac rehab, stamina needs to come back better but that’s a matter of putting the work in.This ‘aging’ stuff isn’t sitting under a shady tree pretending to wisdom after all. 

doc…

Thanks Doc,

I’m wanting to update a board Huie made me. Photo attached. Cork has the virtue of being forgiving on the ribs on very late drops etc and no wax is needed.  I can’t picture you sitting under  a tree.

Bob

I believe Drew Baggett uses 3 mm cork.

Ah, I understand better now. Okay, while redoing the cork and all is one way to go, another possibility; Cove Pad Guy does some really sweet deck pads for kneeboards…and paipos, ships to Australia and is currently offering a discount on orders from Australia and NZ. Shipping reasonable as well. Peel and stick. Easy.   Haven’t tried one yet myself but I’m hearing a lot of good things about 'em.

Prices not at all unreasonable and I like the looks of 'em. He does custom templates. Worth looking into.

I dunno- some days that tree sounds awfully good.  

doc…

Thanks Stoneburner.

Doc,

Update is an entirely new board. I want something that will gte me into waves earlier - so am going 2" longer, 1/4 "wider plus thicker. I also retor-fitted some tail wings for hold, which will be added to the new board. 

Bob

Hi Bob,

All the more reason to give these a try. I note that he’s done some with center ‘ridges’ for kneeboards that give the same effect as wells in the deck, maybe a couple similar along the sides back towards the tail?? Again, worth looking into, nothing to lose.

doc…

I know a few paipo guys use them.

Looking through some information I got from CoreCork, I believe Drew Baggett uses 2 mm cork (not 3 mm).

How do they like 'em? In use, ordering process and so on? 

Gday Doc,

The posts were people who had used cove pads and the reports were all positive.

Regards

Bob

The Cove Pads work as intended, providing a layer of protection to one’s body and some traction. I still needed some light waxing on mine. But, the Cove Pads add weight and the board can become rather heavy if you add one to a heavy foam, glass and resin schedule. You might benefit from a 4oz E and 4oz S for the deck with a full Cove Pad.

I have put GryptaLite, also made by Casey the Cove Pad guy, on three of my boards, as a wax replacement. I was very pleased with the product’s performance. It sure is nice being “wax free.” It isn’t as grippy/sticky as a full-on Sticky Bumps wax application but that in itself has its pro’s and con’s. And my wife approves of GryptaLite… no more wax on the dining room table!