Looking for info on a 9'2 Hansen 50-50

Hey all,

Wanted to see if anybody could help with some info on this board, it’s an 9’2 Hansen 50-50 which I’m (speculating) is from the 60’s. Not sure what fin but it’s glassed on. 

Thanks,

Theo

Look on the deck side, near the glass tailblock, and report the board’s number and any letters or symbols associated with it.      That will tell the story of when it was produced, and who shaped it.

Are you sure it’s 8 ft? Looks bigger. If it really is an 8 it would have been made in 1968, most likely. It has all the attributes of the original 50-50, which was well over 9 ft. I can say without doubt that is not from the 70s, or even 1969.

When Hansen hired me away from Hobie, in Spring of 1965, it was not uncommon to see orders for boards eight feet long.       The shapers would almost fight over them.       The shorter boards were just easier to shape  than 10 footers.      The Hansen removable fin system went into production sometime in early mid 1967.      Prior to that all fins, were glass-ons.      The board number will tell the full story.

EDIT:  Theo, if the board number is followed by the letter   T     then I was the shaper.

Hey Bill,

Thanks a lot for the info, been waiting to get my hands on the board to check out the serial number. Unfortunately I’m fairly certain there isn’t any, no number or letters anywhere near the tailblock, or any other part of the board for that matter. Also, lo and behold the more actually measures up to 9’2. Here’s another pic including the fin, which apparently was “stiffened up” by the original owner, no change to the outline however. Got some more info and the past time she touched water was in 1970 Rhode Island, and most likely purchased in the mid 60s.

I appreciate the help!

Fin

747 fin.

See? I knew it was over 8 ft.

If the board has been in RI since it was new, it was likely sold from the Will Jacobs shop in either Newport or CT. He was a Hansen dealer. It is definitely a mid 60s board, no newer than 1966, I’d say.

Neat, thanks! Yes it was purchased in RI so you’re probably right about that store. Agreed, seems like it’s from sometime between 1963 - 66. I’m wondering if the lack of identification number or serial is any indication of when/who it’s shaped by.

Not a frequent omission, but forgetting to put the number on the board, would sometimes happen.      Or, put the number on, get distracted, and forget your letter designator.  Because of the glass tailblock, and glass-on’‘Doyle Pivot Fin’', I’d put the construction anywhere from 1965 to early/mid 1967.     1966, plus/minus  one year, covers all the bases.

Got it, thank you Bill!!