What about this old german planer?

I just bought this pice of planer, what dou you guys think about? 

No disrespect intended, but it has sort of a ‘‘FrankenPlaner’’ vibe to it.        But, if it can get the jobe done, who cares, eh?        What is the backstory?      Eastern block country origin?

Actually, the Commies were in East Germany, not West Germany.  Other than that, if you have a 220V outlet you can use it.  I say anything made in Deutschland ist Sehr Gut!  Although, sometimes they tend to make things a little too complicated.  This one looks very user friendly though with the depth control easily accessible.  Looks very similar to a Skill 100.

The question is: can you get parts for it?

Das Allerbeste

for blades no problem, and it runs with gears… so no belds.

I will open it up and post some pictures

HolzHer is a German Woodworking tool company that’s been around at least 100 years. 

The Tool says WEST GERMANY so it must have been made between 1961 and 1989.

NOT COMMUNIST.  

It is what it is and you’ve got what you’ve got.   Doesn’t look like a light touch depth adjustment.  Cranking or twisting a stiff depth adjustment knob while pushing a bulky, heavy planer thru the paces is a pain in the ass.  And that’s on the flats.  Can’t imagine doing rail bands with it.  Aha! I see the wing nut on the side;  So I am assuming that is your depth adjustment?  If that’s the case I would forget about using it for anything but doors.  Just because something looks kind of Skil in appearance, don’t assume it is anything like a Skil 100.

How does it run? Brushes, switch and bearings can probably be found or adapted, most manufacturers don’t re-invent the wheel any more than they absolutely have to. Cutters available at that ( English language) link among others, including some to give a ‘Rustik’ look. The motor housing appears to be plastic, it may be getting a little fragile with age.

For what it’s worth, while Holz-Her currently does big woodworking machines for shop/factory production, a little research tells me they may well have split off the portable power tool line some time ago and that was acquired by Festo, later Festool. I seem to recall both Holz-Her and Festo lines being advertised to timber framers in the US back circa 1970-75,.mostly Great Big Circular Saws not unlike the 16"/40 cm. saws Makita sold. Festool GMBH might have manuals and parts lists/ diagrams, though I’d guess that getting parts from them is unlikely.

The EHO-75, as I imagine you figured out already, refers to "Elektrohobel’ - electric planer- with a 75mm blade width. Interesting that you have one in 220V and labelled in English. Does it have a UK type plug? Your workshop looks like you do wood working too, I’d save this for beam work, I think it’d be quite good at it. Nice tool. 

Hope that’s of use. 

doc…