Longboard as a twin fin

Hi just looking for some opinions and feedback. I’ve got a Longboard shaped by Ricky Carroll, 9’0 his Performance Longboard

it is set up as a quad with 4 deep futures boxes

i was playing around with some fins (flat spell) and was wondering if using a set of big twins 5.25 inches deep  5 base in the rear boxes if it would work well as a twin ?

the rear boxes with twins installed puts the trailing edges at 10.25 from the tail and 1.5 inches from the rail apex. It looks reasonable to my eye .

I’ll probably give it a go if we get some swell soon, just wondering if these boxes might not be far enough back.

ive seen quite a wide range of twin placements from 10.5 to about 8.5 

has anybody tried something similar?

thanks 

Jimi

If it were me I’d consider running keels in the rear boxes - more total fin area and more base.   Your average quad setup has a total fin area (front+rear) of 28"-30" and ~8" in combined base lengths .   A McNab style high aspect twin is at ~20".  The small keels run about 22" and the large keels for the fin systems run about 25".      

Running a small keel or high aspect twin with a twinzer leaderfin is another possibility.   

Thanks Gdaddy , great point about total area and base - hadn’t thought about that .

I was thinking of adding a twinzer leader fin as you suggested

Jimi

Twinzer was going to be my next suggestion except that involves adding plugs to your board.    Another combo you might consider is running high-aspect twins up front and nubsters in the rear to add to the control.  

Thought a photo might help

do you think a smaller fin in the front boxes would be close to a twinzer?

didn’t want to go the adding plugs route 

Looks workable to me.  Get out there and try it.   But whatever the combo;  I don’t think Rick Carroll ever made a board that wouldn’t work as shaped and finned.

Jim, yep, we need some swell.  But if you’re just hanging around the beach on a knee to waist day, bring your bucket of fins and give us a ride report. I have a RC LB quad too.  I am curious.

And I am serious here, try it Asymm with a keel forward on your back side and a keel in the back box for your heel side. I may try all this next time.

But whatever you do, and I am serious here too, don’t put your fins in backwards.  Someone will take a picture and you’ll end up on Instagram on some kook feed and never live it down.  We’ll know here of course that you were just experimenting but the damage will be done.

All the best, boys,

If you’re just rying to loosen it up you can run smaller fins in the rear boxes.   I always use a staggered combo for quads.   

FCS make a pair of curved carbon fins , hard to find but work really good as twins on a longboard .

Try it, you will know. Surfing is mostly a feeling play, what work a good day don’'t an other… 

I have been absent for awhile. After losing most of my boards in the fire I was faced with “what to make”…I needed to combine a few boards into one. I made this a year ago. I have tried it in a lot of different wave situations. And a few different fin set ups. I like it. I am in the process of making another one with some slight changes. But this one is a keeper. 

Nice to see you back Ace. 

Good to see you back, sir.   Always a pleasure.   

I would expect that board to hold in really well and be extremely fast down the line once you set a rail.   

My sentiments, exactly.     The voice of experience is always appreciated here.